Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire Ants-Beware they almost killed me yesterday!

Default Fire Ants-Beware they almost killed me yesterday!

This morning I rolled up to my first stop. I was thinking to myself how smooth the morning went for a Monday. How fast they got my glass loaded, How polite the customers were on the phone during scheduling.
    I pulled up to my first stop, A windshield replacement on an Express Van. She had it parked in the shade for me because it was already hot out. It was like it was in a mine fieldthough as there were fire ant piles all over the place so I had to be careful. I reoved the windshield molding and proceeded to take the wipers off and the cowl screws. I lifted the drivers side cowl panel up to remove the wiper sprayer hose and as I removed my hand there were like 4 or 5 fire ants on my hand. As I wiped them off like 2 or 3 stung me. I thought noting of it as I used to get stung all the time down in Florida, There everywhere. I never had been allergic to any bites. I went to my van and cleaned out my bites and continued to work. Then within 5 minutes things went wrong. I was on the phone with my bud and I told him somethings wrong I gotta go. I knew things were going bad FAST. I figured at first, Drive to the police station at the end of the block and get an ambulance. It was a fire/police station. I started the van and sat for a second and said this isnt gonna work I am going bad too fast. I knew I had to get away from the van and that section of property. I started walking to the customers door to let her know. At the same I hit 911 on my phone. I knocked twice but she didnt hear me. She was upstairs in the back of the house sewing. At this point I was really having an issue breathing and was becoming paralized. I started to stumble towards the left front of the property where it was sandy and there was no ants. 911 dispatch came on and I was losing my abiltiy to speak. I told them fire ant bite, left hand, anaphylactic shock! Theywere like where are you? I told them I couldnt remember but track my phone I will keep the line connected. With that I face planted myself in the sand. I couldnt move or breath. It was like I had a 10 ton truck on my lungs. All I could do was take very short breaths and it was really hard. A few seconds before the ambulance showed up I took my last breath I had strength to do. I told them get me an epipen! they wouldnt do it until the IV was in. Meanwhile I was fighting for every breath. They hit me with epipen, steroids and some other stuff. as the Epipen didnt work. I was concious the whole time and I kept hearing them saying call his shop and let them know whats happening. I could barely get the words out to tell them, No shop phone is forwarded to me! My phone kept ringing. I told them call wife Aimee, In phone, call her not shop! They never made that call. I get into the hospital and they hook up all the monitors and gave me a mega dose of IV benedryl. I knew I was going o pass out real fast. They all left the room for a minute. With that I was able to wiggle my cell out of my pocket. I couldnt lift my arms so I opened the keyboard to send wife a text. I wrote Need help, Aiken Hospital. I hit send and tried to flip phone to see it. What did I see?? NO SERVICE!!!! The nurse came in and asked me what I was doing. She saw the phone and went to her desk and called. I then passed out for about 4 hours. When I woke up the wife was there with my older daughter. I was soaked and full of sand. The doctor said the benedryl made me piss myself in my sleep. He said its common. Because of the profuse sweating I was covered in sand from the face plant in the dirt.
    They monitored for a little while longer and released me. I now have to carry an epipen. I have never had an allergy to anything ever! I still feel like shnit but I am alive.
    My cell phone saved my life. If I didnt have it on me or if it didnt have the e911 I would be dead right now.

Glad you made it out alive! Allergic reactions are serious. One reason I keep lots of Benedryl around even though I'm not allergic to anything: crushing one and putting it under a tongue may save a life.

Glad you are ok! Sounds like you are one lucky dude!

Scary!! Glad you are well and hope this never happens again. Quick thinking on your part with the phone!!

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

There are more than a few good reasons to be able to be tracked... Glad it turned out with minimal damage... I am surprised they didn't keep you overnight in the hosp...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

DAMN! that's rough, guess what I'm buying this afternoon... I always wonder what it'll turn out I am allergic to, so that wouldn't be a bad idea to have in the GHB. My dad carries benadryl all the time because they have a scorpion problem at their house, and he gets numb really fast.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Glad things turned out OK for you. That is scary.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

I think they released me because they know my wife is a nurse and has handled cases like this and also because we dont have health insurance, We pay cash for our hospital and doctor visits.

Damn!!! Glad you're OK. Allergic reactions are nothing to screw with. Now that you've had one, future ones tend to be more severe. Keep that epi pen close and a spare around as well.

Sometimes it is good to have Big Brother able to find you.
    What this forum is all about:
    Share your expertise and enjoy the camaraderie. "Share what you know, learn what you don't."

I now have to carry 2 epi pens with me. My wife also carries 2 with her. She had an allergic reaction to something unknown to this day once. So she carries too. Screwed up thing is I got bit AGAIN by ants yesterday taking out my garbage, No reaction at all. They also were not Australian fire ants though.