Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Solar, 40w for $89

In a worst case scenario a refrigerator, a window ac unit (not necessarily at the same time), and low voltage lighting.

BTW, love you sig.

NEVER use a car battery or even the deep cycle marine batteries. They're not made for the constant deep cycles and quick recharges that a solar system demands. Minimum - if you're going for a 12V system as opposed to a more efficient 24V system - start with 2 of these: https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...213750210&An=0 or something similar. It's a 6V golf cart battery, NAPA's answer to the Trojan T105. 225amp hours each. 122 minutes at 75amps. Super thick plates. Totally expandable and reasonably priced ($108 each)

I'm not "the answer man" when it comes to solar, but I've done my research and have solid experience. Last year I detonated a marine deep cycle battery. And then after researching a little more deeply, I figured out why. As soon as I move the updated array to the other side of the roof (where it's not visible from the street) I'll post picks and share what I've done and what I've learned from the experience in a new thread.
    WHERE ARE MY SHOES?

Window A/C is probably out of the question. Do some searches on solar, motorhome and residential refrigerator.

My refrigerator uses about 1kw in a 24hr period. I do OK with ~ 400w of solar and a pair of deep cycle 6v batteries. Summer months dry camping I don't have to run the generator. Winter is not so good. This is about a 2k investment. Probably less now that panels have dropped in price.

Only way to run A/C is to invest in what is called a split heat pump. They are very low power consumption. Pretty much become the standard for off grid use.

Costco or Sams club is best for batteries. Costco is $80 each plus core.
    I'm a firm believer in recycling. Trespassers will be composted.

Thanks BigV and the others who chimed in.

Nice links. Hopefully the sale will be going for a bit, once we're moved, we'll have to see how much spending money is laying around!