Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A great Story about Brotherhood. You gotta Earn the RIGHT.

Default A great Story about Brotherhood. You gotta Earn the RIGHT.

Title: U.S. MARINES and The Old Man
    Source: email
    URL Source: http://n/a
    Published: May 28, 2011
    Author: unknown
    Post Date: 2011-05-28 22:36:08 by yukon
    Views: 97
    Comments: 8

U.S. MARINES and The Old Man

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive veterans of early wars were treated and appreciated by our nation."

General George Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Old Man...

As I came out of the supermarket that sunny day, pushing my cart of groceries towards my car, I saw an old man with the hood of his car up and a lady sitting inside the car, with the door open.

The old man was looking at the engine. I put my groceries away in my car and continued to watch the old gentleman from about twenty five feet away.

I saw a young man in his early twenties with a grocery bag in his arm, walking towards the old man.. The old gentleman saw him coming too and took a few steps towards him. I saw the old gentleman point to his open hood and say something. The young man put his grocery bag into what looked like a brand new Cadillac Escalade and then turn back to the old man and I heard him yell at the old gentleman saying,

'You shouldn't even be allowed to drive a car at your age.' And then with a wave of his hand, he got in his car and peeled rubber out of the parking lot.

I saw the old gentleman pull out his handkerchief and mop his brow as he went back to his car and again looked at the engine.

He then went to his wife and spoke with her and appeared to tell her it would be okay. I had seen enough and I approached the old man. He saw me coming and stood straight and as I got near him I said, 'Looks like you're having a problem.'

He smiled sheepishly and quietly nodded his head. I looked under the hood myself and knew that whatever the problem was, it was beyond me. Looking around I saw a gas station up the road and told the old man that I would be right back... I drove to the station and went inside and saw three attendants working on cars. I approached one of them and related the problem the old man had with his car and offered to pay them if they could follow me back down and help him.

The old man had pushed the heavy car under the shade of a tree and appeared to be comforting his wife. When he saw us he straightened up and thanked me for my help. As the mechanics diagnosed the problem (overheated engine) I spoke with the old gentleman.

When I shook hands with him earlier, he had noticed my Marine Corps ring and had commented about it, telling me that he had been a Marine too. I nodded and asked the usual question, 'What outfit did you serve with?'

He had mentioned that he served with the First Marine Division at Tarawa, Saipan, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal ..

He had hit all the big ones and retired from the Corps after the war was over. As we talked we heard the car engine come on and saw the mechanics lower the hood. They came over to us as the old man reached for his wallet, but was stopped by me and I told him I would just put the bill on my AAA card.

He still reached for the wallet and handed me a card that I assumed had his name and address on it and I stuck it in my pocket. We all shook hands all around again and I said my goodbye's to his wife.

I then told the two mechanics that I would follow them back up to the station. Once at the station I told them that they had interrupted their own jobs to come along with me and help the old man. I said I wanted to pay for the help, but they refused to charge me.

One of them pulled out a card from his pocket looking exactly like the card the old man had given to me.. Both of the men told me then, that they were Marine Corps Reserves. Once again we shook hands all around and as I was leaving, one of them told me I should look at the card the old man had given to me. I said I would and drove off.

For some reason I had gone about two blocks when I pulled over and took the card out of my pocket and looked at it for a long, long time. The name of the old gentleman was on the card in golden leaf and under his name.......

'Congressional Medal of Honor Society..'

I sat there looking at the card and reading it over and over. I looked up from the card and smiled to no one but myself and marveled that on this day, four Marines had all come together, because one of us needed help. He was an old man all right, but it felt Good to have stood next to greatness and courage and an honor to have been in his presence. Remember, OLD men like him gave you FREEDOM for America . Thanks to those who served....and those who supported them.

America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall. If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Remember, Freedom isn't Free, thousands have paid the price so you can enjoy what you have today.
    I'm not Politically Correct! Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    USMC '91-'97, 1st Civ. Div. ever since

Great story....
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

Thanks for posting that, it was indeed a good read
    http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9-oklahoma-and-surrounding-area-matches/

Oorah

Perfect story for today, ("Memorial Day"). Thank you. God Bless our soldiers (pass and present) who fight for our freedom.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers
    Voltaire

With tears in my eyes, [after reading this short story], I give Thanks to All who serve or have served,
    my gratitude, thoughts and prayers are w/ you all.
    Happy Memorial Day, CeCe :-)
    :)

A well done to all our service members and thank you for your service, past or present.
    Semper Fi

Although I am not a Marine, I did serve proudly for 10 years in the Air Force. I think the Marines do it best when taking care of thier own, and any serviceman/woman they encounter along the way. On a less serious note...... All of the Americans spending thier day at the mall shopping for " Memorial Day Sales" rest assured that GECKO45 is on the job somewhere protecting you from harm.

That's one thing I've quite haven't figured out yet. In Canada we have our "Remembrance Day" on November 11 each year, and our southly neighbours have their "Memorial Day" today. This is the time we set aside each year to remember our fallen soldiers that many have given their lives to fight for our freedom, yet we chose to spend that day shopping for bargins instead of saluting and remembering the soldiers who gave it all for us. There are many other days we can choose to shop, yet the retailers have largely ignore this special day and instead place money/greed/profits ahead of what should be a day of remembrance.

I remember an newspaper article many years ago in Metro Vancouver about a Jewish furniture retailers having a "Remembrance Day" sale on November 11, and the public outcry because the Canadian and American military forces freed from the Nazi concentration camps many POWs and yet they choose to ignore this special memorial day and instead seek to profit from it. Now it's no longer any issues. How time has changed, I refuse to shop during those days of memorial to honor our fallen braves.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers
    Voltaire

We are a nation that fails to respect our elders and that from whence we came. May we all have the opportunity to meet men of such bravery and courage.

Perfect for memorial day.
    Do not pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger men.