Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOAA calling for a more active hurricane season

Bring it. I work in the stand-by generator field. Hurricanes are shaped like dollar signs for a reason They cry this same story every year. I think someone at NOAA keeps forgetting to carry a one or something, because every year they say this, yet no storms arrive.

I live in southeastern Texas. After getting hit a number of times the last few years, I stay a bit more prepared for big storms. Katrina was a rainmaker for us, but Rita was brutal. We all learned some important lessons and the next hurricane more a more direct hit for us. The difference was the general public was better prepared as well.

Maybe they need to hire Harold Camping.. they seem to be about equally accurate.

Do i believe that a hurricane could hit this year. Yep, and i'm prepped for it.

Do i believe that NOAA has a damn clue about what they're doing - THIS FAR AHEAD - nope.

I do however believe that they have some interest in scaring enough people so that they get continued / increased funding.

I think funding is probably the motivating factor also. They throw these predictions out to CYA.

I feel for the coastal residents and some years help when people I know are affected, but I sure like the rainmakers that come in every year.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by KINGCHIP View Post
    I think funding is probably the motivating factor also. They throw these predictions out to CYA.

I feel for the coastal residents and some years help when people I know are affected, but I sure like the rainmakers that come in every year.
    No need to feel for us.

We live here, it's a conscious decision.
    If you live in a hurricane area and don't know the risk you are taking, you're probably a great candidate for Darwinistic geene pool control.

I look at the unprepared here in Florida with bewildered amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    what are these hurricanes you talk about......................
    The same thing you have every winter.. Just without the snow. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ArmaFati View Post
    No need to feel for us.

We live here, it's a conscious decision.
    If you live in a hurricane area and don't know the risk you are taking, you're probably a great candidate for Darwinistic geene pool control.

I look at the unprepared here in Florida with bewildered amusement.
    Yea, it kind of amazes me also. I help a little fishing village in South Texas with generators. Why nobody has one is beside me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
    what are these hurricanes you talk about......................
    Think Blizzard but warm.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmaFati View Post
    The same thing you have every winter.. Just without the snow. :P
    Beat me to it.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Lets be honest, they've said this same line every year
    The Normalcy Bias, do you suffer from it to?

Default active season

The hurricanes have been there, big ones, but they have thankfully gone toward Mexico or the north Atlantic. Can you imagine a season with 3 or 4 Katrinas.

Yeah, what's NOAA's accuracy been, over (say) the last 15 years?

The best predictor are the guys in Colorado....http://tropical.atmos.colostate.edu/...11/apr2011.pdf
    Good medicine in bad places