Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Learning how to Homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by GirlPrepper View Post
    I found the book on Ebay at Buy it Now....so, I should have it soon.... And, I am clueless about chincha.....so, I guess I will have to read when I get the book...Thanks, again.
    Chincha is a corn brew traditionally made by the old ladies in the village sitting around and chewing the corn and spitting into the brew vessel
    Last edited by Riverdale; 05-22-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: crappy spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
    Chincha is a corn brew traditionally made by the old ladies in the village sitting around and chewing the corn and spitting into the brew vessel
    Still waiting on my book, but the sounds disgusting!

Quote Originally Posted by GirlPrepper View Post
    Still waiting on my book, but the sounds disgusting!
    GP, glad you liked the book. Some of the recipes (esp in the phsycotropic chapter) sound kinda rough. But then again, maybe good in PAW

Gruits (non-hopped brews) were mainly pre-1500. Some say there is a religious concept to the change from gruits to hopped beers. Me, I say 'meh'

The coolest thing is that there are a buttload of things you can brew with in your front yard! THAT rocks!

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/pineapple-beer

Under Pandemic Prohibition, South Africans Resort to Pineapples >>>> A strict lockdown has meant a spike in homebrewing.

ON MARCH 15, THE DAY before South Africans were plunged into a lockdown which prohibited sales of alcohol, cigarettes, and takeout food, lines outside liquor stores spilled into the streets. One bottle store owner told me he did a month’s trade in a day.

I drink for survival every weekend.....

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    I drink for survival every weekend.....
    LMAO, don't we all.....
    =
    Make America under God Again
    *Putting*America*Back*Together*

I'll have to dig up a few of my recipes. Do you go whole grain or malt extracts? Do you have access to fresh hops? I live close to the Willamette valley which used to be the world's leading producer of hops, but I see more and more vineyards. Anyway, fresh is best.

This is completely hypothetical, but there might be a large subset of homebrewers that engage in the... um... manufacture of stronger spirits.
    Not hypothetical: Brewing up to 200 gallons of beer is legal. Selling it is not legal. Owning a still is perfectly legal. Distilling water, essential oils, and vinegar is perfectly legal. Distilling alcohol is legal, IF you have the permits. Oregon has a couple bills allowing home distillation that may get voted on this year.

Home brewing took a long time to get legalized, because the big 3 breweries were scared it would cut into their business. It actually had the opposite effect. It launched an interest in beer that forced them to up their game, and everyone benefited.

Where do you buy Newcastle? I haven't seen in on the shelves for a couple years.
    Last edited by GR82BPREPD; 05-30-2020 at 07:49 AM.
    Each one hopes that if he feeds the crocodile enough, the crocodile will eat him last W. Churchill