Thread: Gardening in partial sun...advice...

Default Gardening in partial sun...advice...

I live in the woods and have part of my garden on the north side of my house. It is 20' x 30' and the woods are all white pine and I have sandy soil. I have manure, dirt, and peat mixed into the garden. The problem is that the garden gets partial filtered sun in the a.m., then full sun for 3 - 4 hours, then partial sun again through the white pines on the other side of the garden......

Any ideas on what I can grow in those conditions ? Also, I want to pressure can what I grow.......it's the second season for this plot.......
    Rock of the Marne
    1/30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

You should be able to grow most crops in your plot. Partial sun I figure is about half of full sun so your still gettin 6-8 hours of sun. That should be enough for most stuff.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

If it's too shady, you would do well with beans, peas, radishes, chard, cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, beets, lettuce, arugula, collards, mustard greens, spinach, kale and some others.
    Good luck!

I would say 3 to 4 hours of good direct sun.....rest is filtered
    Rock of the Marne
    1/30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

You might also try raised beds with garden fabric or containers painted black with low tunnels or movable green houses over top. This would keep your soil warmer and also allow you to plant out earlier effectively extending your season. Be sure though to rotate your crops and make sure your beds drain pretty well.

I look at some of the steep-slope gardens or northern exposure gardens over here in Germany, and it doesn't seem impossible. It simply may mean you get less production or it takes longer to mature. See above advice. Do well and keep us up to date!
    "Do or do not; There is no try." Yoda