Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison ivy

Default Poison ivy

Hey ya'll. I was wondering what you would do about a poison ivy rash if SHTF. I have a minor one on my leg right now. I'm not terribly allergic but its about the same as being covered in mosquito bites.

Can anyone come up with natural cure, suppressant that could be made from resources in the VA area?
    Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead - james 2:17

Quote Originally Posted by learner View Post
    Hey ya'll. I was wondering what you would do about a poison ivy rash if SHTF. I have a minor one on my leg right now. I'm not terribly allergic but its about the same as being covered in mosquito bites.

Can anyone come up with natural cure, suppressant that could be made from resources in the VA area?
    Years ago we used to apply mud to make the itching go away, but that's not too cool if you've scratched them raw already...

Allan

I am extremely allergic to poison ivy so I would also be interested in this.

apple cider vinegar will take the itch out. Balances pH of the skin. Bennadryl or like OTC med

I recently have been doing research on what Listerine can be used for. Surprised it was developed for operating rooms. Well web claims it 'cures' poison oak/ivy. Do some internet info search and see if it is for you. I have not tried it.

For truer allergies: I was very allergic to Poison Oak (west coast version of Ivy). My mother said the old timers told her to feed a goat the poison oak and then drink the milk. The milk produced antibodies or something like that. Get someone else to feed/milk goat if you are the allergic one.

apple cider vinegar confirmed.. we also use it on blisters for chicken pox.. dries them right up.. no trips to doc nadda

thanks
    Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead - james 2:17

Resist itching, hot baths, shower, or water several times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by straight edge View Post
    I had a nasty case of it a last summer (twice) after spending a few days in the woods.

I mostly had it on my arms, hands, and a little on the legs.

The one on my hands got so bad and painful that it was causing my hand to swell up and the skin felt like it was tearing apart.

I just could not take the pain anymore so I went to my doctor and get a shot in the ass.

The shot worked great for the swelling and the pain was greatly reduced within a few hours.

As far as the itching goes, I tried a bunch of the over the counter gels, lotions, and creams, but the one and only thing that got rid of the itching and discomfort was hot water.

I would turn the shower on and get the water as hot as I could stand it.

I then put the shower head on high pressure mode and sprayed the hell out of the affected areas.

It was amazing how good it felt; the combination of the hot water and the water pressure forcing the water against the area was an orgasmic experience.

The great thing about this was that the itching and discomfort would be totally gone for about 4 to 5 hours at a time.

It worked great for me.

Let us know how it all turns out for you.
    I second the hot water. No exaggeration, best feeling in the world ever. It brings all the histimines(sp ?) to the surface and gives a few hours of relief. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to put vinegar on our poison and bee stings.

tea tree oil works
    ******* If you don't stand behind our troops, then stand in front of them!*******

I have lots of experience with poison ivy, I get at least one good case a year. I've had my eyes swolen shut twice in my life. There is no way to deer hunt or cut wood in this part of Arkansas without coming in contact with poison ivy.
    The best cure is prevention. I carry lots of water and soap when I cut wood so if I think I've gotten into some I wash right then. The oil in the plant is what your body rejects and causes the rash. It washes off easy with soap.
    I've tried everything possible under the sun to get rid of the rash. Alternating hot and cold water helps a lot. The only real cure is time.
    " Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, not being prepared is always inconvenient." Cap.Caveman