Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Poison ivy

Poison Sumac, Ivy, or Poison Oak. OMG I look at the stuff and start breaking out in blisters. My idiot neighbor burned down a hedge of poison oak a few years ago, and I left the area, until the fire was out. Anywhere the soot landed, I touched, and broke out. Blisters between the fingers, between the toes, between... well you get the idea

Next time I get it, I will try the cider vinegar. Hot showers are good too.
    We learn from history that we do not learn from history. Georg Wilhelm F. Hegel

i ''knock on wood'' dont seem to get it.. i hike and trail run very often. ive dived into all sorts of brush, touched ivy and oak.. never broke out

In the fall, boil acorns to draw the tannic acid out, then freeze the water you used in ice cube trays. Apply one of the cubes to the affected area. About as natural of a remedy as you could want. Black and Red oak trees contain the highest levels of tannic acid in their acorns.

Quote Originally Posted by driftz240 View Post
    i ''knock on wood'' dont seem to get it.. i hike and trail run very often. ive dived into all sorts of brush, touched ivy and oak.. never broke out
    Some people are just naturally immune. Just like bees and wasps. 1% go into anaphylaxis and die. 98% get an itchy swollen hive. 1% no effect. Must be nice being at the tail end of the bell curve.
    When seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by learner View Post
    Hey ya'll. I was wondering what you would do about a poison ivy rash if SHTF. I have a minor one on my leg right now. I'm not terribly allergic but its about the same as being covered in mosquito bites.

Can anyone come up with natural cure, suppressant that could be made from resources in the VA area?
    I believe Jewelweed (Impatiens capensis) grows in your area. That's what my Granny used. I always preferred Calamine Lotion or Mercurochrome. I think Calomine is still available, but the Nanny State banned Mercurochrome...you would have to go to a Tijuana or Canada pharmacy to buy it.