Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Poison ivy

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Frigid North
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I'm actually in a position to speak pretty knowledgeably about Poison Ivy. I'm just about deathly allergic to the stuff, and was on a prednisone regimen for it for about half my life due to growing up in the woods. I even have scars from where I would itch it as a kid so bad. A few things I've learned along the way:
    -Poison Ivy (PI) is an allergy that gets worse with exposure. If you march 100 1st graders through a PI patch, only about 10 will get it, but if you march the same kids through a PI patch in 2nd grade, 30-40 will get it (numbers are WAGs, but probably fairly close)
    -The "itching will spread it" is (mostly) a myth. See next point however.
    -PI is only spread through the oil of the plant, if some is on your skin/hand and you itch, yeah, it'll spread it. If not, itching won't. Another thing to keep in mind, PI oil can KEEP spreading after the original infection. If the oil was originally transferred from clothing, shoes, socks, et al, it will likely still be on the clothing even after a washing, there is special detergent to neutralize the oil. Another common way people will get it is the family pet, dog runs out in the woods, gets oil on their fur, brings it to anyone that pets them.
    -Don't burn the plants, as stated, the oil will vaporize and cover everything. There were also experiments done to develop an immunity, subjects ingested small amounts of PI over time to build their immune system.....didn't work...they get it, ahhh, where their digestive system is eventually "expelled" from their body! (Yikes!!!!)
    -I've found two ways of getting rid of it: 1.) When you first get it: I'm literally so allergic to PI I can tell within minutes (or less) of contact with the plant, the area affected feels funny and tingly. At this point, I look for anything to burn it off, gasoline, gun solvent, paint thinner, etc. this will USUALLY do the trick. Though, realistically, most people are not that allergic to it to notice so quickly. And one time it worked to my demise, I tried 2-cycle gasoline which was the only thing close by (cutting trees/chainsaw) and it actually spread the PI area over a larger area! 2.) IMO, anything involving a hot bath does not work (though, if it works for you, more power to you, PI SUCKS!!!!). It moisturizes the area and seems to make itching and the effected area worse. My solution/s have revolved around the opposite: dry it out. Apply alcohol numerous times/day, or anything else that will dry it out. This is the only non-steroid way I've been able to help infections.

    Hope this helps...
    |One Mind - Any Weapon|

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dirty South
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootstalker View Post
    Mix a little bleach and water and rub on skin a couple times a day. I know people who are very allergic and they swear by it.
    ^this works. my brother and I have done landscaping for years, he still does, and bleach on a wash cloth wiped over the area dries it up like nothing else. It burns a bit, but no more than alcohol on a cut IMHO. So if you stock up on bleach, that works.
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

  3. #23

    Default

    I've always found the dry it up method works for me as well. I do my best to stay out of if because like Hope stated above it SUCKS. If I get it I usually try to swim in a recently shocked pool the chlorine in the water does a pretty good job of taking care of it. Secondly I do my best to not scratch. I don't know but it seems like if I don't scratch it is will go away quicker. I don't know if there is anything to that or not but works for me.
    Let us hope for the best, but let us also prepare for the worst.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    iam lucky I can lay down and rool in it poison ivy or poison oak neather one bother me if I have a cut or a scratch I will get a very little bit but it go away the next day. My Grandmother used gaso;ine,or white gas poison ivy or poison oak has a oil that get on your skin and the more you scrach it the big it get it sprades out .Any thing that removes oil like gas, straight Alcdhol,Methyl ,white gas Asatone put some on a cotton ball and rub it on it will burn for a while but will get raid of it fast. have had a fu people i told try it and they all said it got raid of it the fastest of any thing they had everr tried. My Grandmother said her mother told he this .

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Sorry for the delay in answering. Jewelweed normally grows near poison ivy. Get some leaves from the jewelweed plant, crush them in your hands, and then rub them on the area of your skin affected by the poison ivy.


    Quote Originally Posted by learner View Post
    Hey ya'll. I was wondering what you would do about a poison ivy rash if SHTF. I have a minor one on my leg right now. I'm not terribly allergic but its about the same as being covered in mosquito bites.

    Can anyone come up with natural cure, suppressant that could be made from resources in the VA area?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    857

    Default

    I never had problems with poison ivy until this past summer. I got a wicked dose right before 4th of July. The things I found that worked were spraying the affected areas with a numbing agent like solarcaine - no itching. Staying cool, A/C saved me. If you have a really dried out section use aloe vera gel, it also helped with the itch and its cooling. And a friend of mine bought me a bar of Sassafrass soap. It was a miracle. I had tried Gold bond and benedryl and neither had helped. Just a quick cool shower with the soap would last up to 8 hours
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. Jefferson

  7. #27

    Default

    I use acetone on poison ivy.

  8. #28

    Default

    I have used PASCALITE clay for other skin irritations and acne. It is marketed for brown recluse bites. See link for other uses also includes poison ivy. I've never had poison ivy (knock on wood) but if drying rash up is the goal then this should do it.

    http://www.pascalite.com/UserState.htm

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Republic of TEXAS!
    Posts
    757

    Default

    Wash with warm, soapy water and make a paste from Jewel weed and apply. Jewel weed grows in the same habitat as poison ivy and is a natural remedy. It's quite conspicuous. Google it.
    For every gun you sell and do not replace, a nice kitten is placed into a woodchipper.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NW PA
    Posts
    202

    Default

    When I got into some poison ivy, my daughter had me take a shower using DAWN dishwashing soap, then she had me apply Extra Virgin Coconut Oil to the affected area. It seems coconut has excellent healing properties. Both daughters us it to heal baby diaper rash and a host of other kid related skin problems. Also, don't forget to machine wash your clothes in DAWN also. When I took a FEMA chemwarfare decon class, DAWN was the number one choice for decon soap. Coconut oil is about $8.00 a jar, so its not cheap. Aldi's usually has the best price.
    Never confuse kindness with weakness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •