Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison ivy

In so far as after the fact, preventative measures and removing the threat? DO NOT BURN THE POISON IVY/OAK!

On the other side, in a grid down, SHTF scenario, it may be a great way to fight off roving bands of looters/thugs with your own, home-made 'chemical' weapon!
    "Do or do not; There is no try." Yoda

Caveman is right.

Poison Ivy causes a type 4 hypersensitivity reaction- it literally tricks your immune T-cells into attacking the site. (normal allergies are type 1 reactions). therefor- the only really effective treatment is to shut down the immune system!! Steroids will do it but it must be oral not just a cream or ointment.

The best idea is prevention. The oil in the sap (called Urushiol) causes the reaction. But if you wash it off fast enough you are safe.

here is a good MedScape article on the issue. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/557163

Mix a little bleach and water and rub on skin a couple times a day. I know people who are very allergic and they swear by it.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

Quote Originally Posted by mattsilf View Post
    I second the hot water. No exaggeration, best feeling in the world ever. It brings all the histimines(sp ?) to the surface and gives a few hours of relief. When I was a kid, my grandmother used to put vinegar on our poison and bee stings.
    My poor husband got a bad case of poison ivy on the inside of his forearms (carrying wood with dead poison ivy vines wrapped around it) and he swore by the hot water in the shower. Said it was the only thing that really seemed to help the intense itching. I've stockpiled several bottles of calamine lotion just in case.

I cannot offer no remedies since I can roll in it and never get it.

But, what Airborne said brought back a memory several years ago..my ex m.i.l....she burnt some poison ivy, it got into her lungs. She was in the hospital near 2 wks. Even tho I can rub it all over me, I will not get around it while burning. Im not taking that chance.

great replies everyone. Mine is about gone now. I think i prevented some from getting on my hands and arms because i knew i probably ran into some ( sure enough it stuck on my legs).

As far as stories go, I actually had some on my ankle last year sue to moving a tree trunk around with some poison ivy on it. It scratched itself down to my foot! Unfortunately it was also Cross country season! (you run 5 k races) I don't think i was able to completely get it off until after that season was done!
    Faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead - james 2:17

If you know you've encountered poison ivy, wash as soon as possible. Dishsoap is excellent because it's a degreaser. Mud may work if it has enough clay content. The clay absorbs the oils and is soothing. Jewelweed(sometimes called touch-me-not) often grows in the same areas as poison ivy and is a great remedy. When you are out hiking, never touch your face until you have washed. Make it a habit and you won't get poison ivy rash in your eyes, nose ,or mouth.

I found the best way to prevent a poison ivy rash is to eat a handful of cashews everyday. Poison Ivy and Cashews are related to each other so your building up an immunity. Works for me!

I'm crazy allegic to poison oak (what we seem to have mostly hereabouts) and am super aware of what I'm doing in the woods. Even with awareness and the decontamination measures Iuse, about every other year I get a real good dose. To the doctor for prednisone and a shot... As some have mentioned, Benadryl is a good OTC antihistamine and will help with the symptoms. I religiously use Tec-Nu scrub and wash. If I think I've touch roots or branches, I go decon. Usually works. So, for those allegic, see if you can get a prescription for some prednisone (dose pack) lay in some of both types of Tec-Nu and stock up on some Benadryl.

I love being outdoors and in the woods and I've had to become very, very aware of plants to the point where I'm considering our Master Gardener program.

Jeff B.
    [COLOR=navy]The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits.[/COLOR]
    Plutarch

It seems that I got poison ivy without even going near the woods recently, so I will be able to try out all the things mentioned in this thread and see how it goes