Thread: potato sets

Default potato sets

I just bought some potatoes to start some with,, 5 different varieties.. had to wait past good Friday due to inclimate weather but now that hubby is home maybe we can get some done... keep fingers crossed,,

Quote Originally Posted by silvergramma View Post
    I just bought some potatoes to start some with,, 5 different varieties.. had to wait past good Friday due to inclimate weather but now that hubby is home maybe we can get some done... keep fingers crossed,,
    Are you going to try normal planting? I've gotten amazing results from the garbage bag growing. averaged 4.6 pounds per bag/plant last year. Am going to try the old car tires next. Potatoes are great, pretty easy to grow, and even if you don't do everything right, you usually end up with at least something for your trouble.

We use tires, and I never have any luck with seed potatoes, I just use straight up bag potatoes, let them eye up, chit them and put them in the tires with a good deal of compost. Once the plants get 3-4 inches tall stack another tire, add more compost almost but not quite covering the whole plant...seems to average about 4 tires high. I got great yields this way 7lbs give or take per stack.