Thread: Arugula, and The Meaning of Life

Smile Arugula, and The Meaning of Life

So, we planted most our garden out about four weeks ago, mostly under cover because of the cold nights (Included was lettuce, Arugula, radishes, carrots and bush beans.) The end of last week, we started leaving the containers un-covered because our veggies were doing pretty well on their own, anyhow. We have four 3'x3' containers, about 30 inches deep, filled with regular soil and rich, homemade compost from the kitchen waste. One of the things that is doing really well, is our Arugula, which we've started adding to our salads on Monday. Now, the Arugula is technically an herb, but it grows fast and strong, and in reality it's a weed. In our salads, it adds great flavor and with ours being mature enough to cut and eat, it's not all together weed-y or bolted, yet. It imparts a fresh, spicy flavor almost like a mild black pepper but has a buttery texture. We cut it fresh, wash and eat it immediately, otherwise it'll limp-out and get bruised.

So after all that, what's the part about the meaning of life? As I sit and eat my salad garnished with Arugula, I can't help but think: I'm not eatting my own salad, cucumbers or tomatoes yet. It's only the Arugula thus far. At this point, it's merely a weed that adds depth to the usual lettuce suspects; Part of that taste is knowing I'm growing my own and every bite, suprised with a spicy taste, I can't help but go back to thinking how sweet it actually tastes! It makes it all worth it, in my opinion.

I just wanted to share some thoughts on a simple weed!
    Last edited by airborne1092; 04-27-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    "Do or do not; There is no try." Yoda

Airborne, I'm catchin' what you're throwin'.
    So far this year, I've only been able to use arugula and radishes from the garden. But there's just something special about my salads and sandwiches when I get a bite with that pungent, tangy taste from an arugula leaf or a radish slice from my own garden.
    I don't think I've ever grown radishes before. They're so cheap, I figured it wasn't worth the garden space. But when I ate some home-grown ones the other day, I couldn't help but think of how spongy and unappealing the ones in the store are, compared to mine.
    I'm looking very forward to many fine salads, sandwiches and stir-frys this summer. Hope your garden does well, too!

Yes! Radishes, too. It really wakes up the dish, and it goes a long way to spice up your food a little, after wintertime. I appologize for all the "taste" words and I'm happy that someone took the time to understand WTH I was trying to say! lol

The radishes are too easy to grow - I suspect ours are going to be monsters (I hope!) the greens are already half the size of ping-pong paddles, but the taproots are only starting to plump up. The carrots are a little disappointing, though. I'm begining to put stock in the rumors that the USPS irradiates the mail and my seeds are getting zapped. iirc, only the locally bought seeds seem to be growing, and for the beans too. If the beans don't do too well in the next few days, we'll have to assume the worst and end up planting the German "Prunkbohnen" instead of our American pole beans. :/

H&C - I wish you success and good fortune with all your endevouors - may your greens never wilt!
    Last edited by airborne1092; 04-28-2011 at 05:35 AM.

I get it. There is a satisfaction to sitting down to a meal that you grew and harvested yourself. We also grow all of our own meat so when we eat a meal its all fresh, chemical free and the fruit of our labors. You can't get that at the grocery store.

Sounds great Airborne. I love fresh arugala and radishes. Our Arugala is not doing anything this year, but we've been eating radishes for a coupple weeks now along with green onions and Asparagus.
    Nothing better than fresh food.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Oh! Onions! I planted some onions a month ago, or so. I bought a bag of 200 sets two years ago and tried growing them in one of our in-ground beds. Needless to say, they didn't do anything. Fast forward to four or five weeks ago, and I was cleaning out our barn (glorified shed!) I found the remains of these things hanging from an old nail, way up high in the thick, sticky spiderwebs. I was so disgusted, I took the bag down, dug a hole between the blackberries and my wife's begonias, threw the contents in the hole, and hilled it up. I figure, if it'll grow, let it grow. If not, I don't care anymore! Of course, I have two dozen beautiful, lush green shoots bursting out of the top of the mound, now. Of course! Only me. Well, I'll see how good my onions are - I bet because I don't care, they'll end up multiplying three or four-fold and produce like crazy!

+1 to the fresh food. My family and I started eating 'clean' a couple years ago. Of course we stray now and again (c'mon! we're in Germany - we NEED our beer and pastries!) but it really does make a difference I can feel when we eat out or more, processed foods.

I love you guys - you get it!