Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into Dexter cattle

Default Getting into Dexter cattle

Any others out there working with this breed?

too small to make any money offa

Not in it for money.

They are getting so expensive. I was looking at them, but I simply can't justify the price.

food..greenbelt..what use for them...they are good on the meat side and small enough for one family kinda thing but they are smaller and therfore easier to get thru fencing...almost always needs to be field fenced. they have the same attitudes as full size cattle also...

We've been raising Dexters for about 3 yrs now, and we love them. We chose them for all we read about the breed being dual purpose, small-sized, easy to handle (we're just 5'5" tall and nearing retirement age) and good-natured...and it's all true. We were new to cattle and learned as the herd grew. They are very easy keepers, and very friendly, as a rule (there are always exceptions to every rule, of course). We have our first steers heading for the freezer sometime this summer, but we have tasted steaks from others Dexters, and they were excellent.

Susy, we are gaining experience with our first two. They are everything you stated...few problems, a lot safer than the full sized cows.
    We'll probably send our steer to the freezer come this fall. Do you have bulls?

Default typo

Ya learn something new everyday i was raised on a dairy farm in mn and have never heard of the dexter....do you milk your or are they pretty much just a meat source? The site i found info on them says they can produce between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 gallons a day with 4-5 % butterfat, thats pretty amazing considering their size...

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

As to the attitude I have a friend who raises Beefalo, I think they are 6-8% hybred, these animals can revert to buffalo instincts if threatened yet the ones she raised were like pets and would respond when called and follow like a dog. Imprinting at birth and lots of quality time while young makes a big differance, but even that is hazardous because Mama Cow is very jealous of her young!
    Normalcy Bias is Not your friend. Wake up and see the Brave New World.

Last fall/winter i worked for a rancher out by wessington sd who has a herd of buffalo, very tastey but not real practical to raise in a prep situation unless you have alot of land...

I've always thought about jersey cattle because they are "smaller" and usually a gentle breed, but after i read more about these dexters they really peak my interest..