Thread: New Compost Tumbler

Default New Compost Tumbler

delete
    Last edited by fire65; 04-23-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: delete

Damn. I guess we're playin' by prison rules now!

You have definitely got your gardening a few notches above the rest of ours. Way to go.

I'm thinking about building a tumbler at the new place (we're currently on the cusp of a move). We're currently using one of those cheap, plastic bins from Home Depot. With that one, we simply pull back 2-3 inches of loose fill on top and toss in the scraps. We then replace the fill and toss in some dried lawn clippings or leaves on top. Compost is pulled out from the bottom through a side access door.

How do the tumblers actually work? I would think that by tumbling, you're not allowing the stuff that's buried enough time to break down. But by not tumbling, the stuff on top doesn't get buried unless you toss more stuff on top. If you do that, what's the point of a tumbler to begin with?

Do you typically fill them up and leave it until the entire batch is composted? FIll it up and tumble once a week for a month? Anyone care to provide a user's guide?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I'm thinking about building a tumbler at the new place (we're currently on the cusp of a move). We're currently using one of those cheap, plastic bins from Home Depot. With that one, we simply pull back 2-3 inches of loose fill on top and toss in the scraps. We then replace the fill and toss in some dried lawn clippings or leaves on top. Compost is pulled out from the bottom through a side access door.

How do the tumblers actually work? I would think that by tumbling, you're not allowing the stuff that's buried enough time to break down. But by not tumbling, the stuff on top doesn't get buried unless you toss more stuff on top. If you do that, what's the point of a tumbler to begin with?

Do you typically fill them up and leave it until the entire batch is composted? FIll it up and tumble once a week for a month? Anyone care to provide a user's guide?
    A tumbler doesn't produce compost any faster than a pile. However, you are more likely to turn the tumbler, Introducing air, which is one of the 4 components for making compost.
    If you had a pile with the same materials, and turned it at the same time as you did the tumbler, you'd get compost as quickly out of that. But humans are lazy in general, and won't turn a pile as often, or as thoroughly as a tumbler will.

You can google, Compost tumbling, or go to youtube. And you'll get a ton of intformation.

That looks vary similar to my home built tumbler except I build a upside down V looking frame for it.

You may find you want to remove the front lower cross board on yours so you can just push a wheel barrow/garden cart under it to empty it.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." Tuco

Nice work.

Nice work My grandpa built a box that sat at the back corner of his yard . I remember turning it over with the pitch fork as part of my "chores" when we went to visit him. according to my aunt , the lady that bought the house still uses it for compost.