Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: growing pineapples

Default growing pineapples

Got a pineapple plant today for the heck of it.

FOund this website but anybody knows anything about growing pineapples in or out doors please chime in.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co.../pineapple.htm

weekend started early this week. If you count mowing the yard, watering the garden and transplanting some pepper plants fun. I do. now back to play.

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    ...anybody knows anything about growing pineapples in or out doors please chime in...
    Allow pineapple to stand, exposed to air for about 12-24 hours. Plant in ground or planter and bury up past the second rosette. (the green palmy leaves). Water heavy the first day and water gently until plant takes root, or begins visible stabilization and growing.

I don't know if it will fruit when mature. Mine were killed by vandalism. Banana trees will grow outdoors where you are.
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

We were told by a couple of nurseries where we live to just lob off the top of the pineapple and plant it in the ground...water per usual and it will grow another pineapple on top/center of it. We're giving it a shot.

We cut off the tops and plant them as previously mentioned. Somebody told us to put a brown paper bag over the crown frond (the very center/newest) and tie it on. They said after a week or so a new pineapple fruit will have begun to bud and you then take the bag off. Haven't tried it yet 'cause they also said your plant should be about two feet in diameter. Mine are still too small.

As if I could grow a pineapple here in WA...LOL. But I am envious of all your efforts and interested to see how it turns out.

i live in fl. i cut strait down the sides,like taking the meat off.leaving the center attatched to the top.dig a hole the size of pinappleor tad bigger.line the hole around with the de-meated skin.put center in hole,n backfill.cover up to the 2nd rosette. i also bend/break a lot of the larger leaves about half of whats left just in case of dry weather or forget to water n wont dehydrate w too many leaves sucking it dry/give it a chance.have almost 100% success

Default I'm from Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    Got a pineapple plant today for the heck of it.

FOund this website but anybody knows anything about growing pineapples in or out doors please chime in.

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.co.../pineapple.htm
    We grew alot of pineapples in our yard in Hawaii. Some of the fruit got up to 9 pounds! You can grow them indoors but it will take 2 years before you see fruit. Find the largest pot you can purchase, 5 gallon size is good. Mix small rocks with a good potting soil mix 50-50 ratio. Pineapples are like cactus, they don't like their feet wet! If you purchased a pineapple from the store, remove the crown from the fruit. Set it aside for a couple of days or longer to dry out. Peel off the bottom leaves of the crown until you have about 1-2 inches of the "neck" exposed. If you omit this step, it will take forever for the crown to form roots. You can leave the rest of the crown intact. Plant the exposed "neck" into your potting medium. Place in a sunny location by a window in your home. Pineapples need warmth to grow and it's going to take 2 years! So be patient. Water only weekly (remember it's a cactus). Fertilize with 16-16-16 lightly once a month. The leaves will grow bigger and a miniature pineapple will sprout from the center of the crown that you planted, and that will be your new pineapple fruit. The plant will get huge so you better have the room for it to grow. I use to cut back the "leaves" of the plant once a new fruit appeared because the leaves are like knives and if you are not careful, it can poke out your eye! But it's not a necessary step. Hope this helps!

This is exactly how I grow them here in Texas. I have 7 pineapple plants. I had 4 more but I didn't have room to bring them all in last winter and those 4 froze and died. 7 are growning strong!
    I started mine from crowns from pineapples I got from the super market about three years ago. They are huge and I have little pineapples on all of them. They are fun to grow.
    On a side note. All I do to keep them from being lethal is snip the ends off the leaves. It doesn't seem to hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainokea View Post
    We grew alot of pineapples in our yard in Hawaii. Some of the fruit got up to 9 pounds! You can grow them indoors but it will take 2 years before you see fruit. Find the largest pot you can purchase, 5 gallon size is good. Mix small rocks with a good potting soil mix 50-50 ratio. Pineapples are like cactus, they don't like their feet wet! If you purchased a pineapple from the store, remove the crown from the fruit. Set it aside for a couple of days or longer to dry out. Peel off the bottom leaves of the crown until you have about 1-2 inches of the "neck" exposed. If you omit this step, it will take forever for the crown to form roots. You can leave the rest of the crown intact. Plant the exposed "neck" into your potting medium. Place in a sunny location by a window in your home. Pineapples need warmth to grow and it's going to take 2 years! So be patient. Water only weekly (remember it's a cactus). Fertilize with 16-16-16 lightly once a month. The leaves will grow bigger and a miniature pineapple will sprout from the center of the crown that you planted, and that will be your new pineapple fruit. The plant will get huge so you better have the room for it to grow. I use to cut back the "leaves" of the plant once a new fruit appeared because the leaves are like knives and if you are not careful, it can poke out your eye! But it's not a necessary step. Hope this helps!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

ok I spent many of my elementary school summer with my grandmother in Louisiana,, amazing growing climate there, she would slice off the top of the pineapple and let it scar up a little bit pretty much the same way you cut the eyes off of your potatoes and then pot them up.. she had some nice plants growing by the front door but she didn't know enough about how long it would take to grow the pineapple fruit to the harvest date, I would imagine you could find pretty much this sort of thing on you tube..