Thread: Preppers: the best AM/FM/SW Portable Radio for the money

Default Preppers: the best AM/FM/SW Portable Radio for the money

Just wanted to share with you folks about the multiband short wave reciever I purchased. I spent a few months researching price, capabilities, other people's reviews and decided with the C.Crane Model CCRadio SW.

I don't sell radios at all, and have nothing to benefit from this recommendation.

This radio is very clear, has a great speaker and many features of radios twice the price. Other radios that come close in my selection process were $400+. Reviews had nothing but praise for it.

The radio is big enough for use on your shop bench for FM/AM listening and small enough to go into your BOV.
    One feature for Preppers is the awesome rechargeable battery features. You can put four rechargeable D OR AA cells in it (it has room inside for both, you choose which you want). When connected to AC, the radio will recharge the batteries with a touch of a button. You don't have to hassle with taking the cells out. Rechargeable D cells have lasted an entire weekend camping.

As you know, a radio is only as good as the antenna. Researching and finally selecting the G5RV long-wire antenna is a long and painful separate story. I had to refresh my dusty memory from my USAF days on antenna basics. For OPSEC, I choose to put the antenna in the attic space. The G5RV was perfect for that. There are plenty of Mom and Pop SW radio sellers on the net that make the G5RV kits.

My radio costs about $125 and the antenna kit was $49. This will give you world-wide comms for listening (For OPSEC reasons, I will be rx only)

Here is the tech specs:

http://www.warehousedeals.com/C-Cran...source=froogle

Hope this helps you out.
    Never confuse kindness with weakness.

I've been thinking about getting C. Crane radio, everyone who has one loves them.
    I still hate commies, even after they changed their name to liberals...

Always heard good things about CCrane. Thanks for the info.

Craig

This was timely as I was looking at a Midland unit. Thanks for rx.
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

how about shortwave in a vehicle. I spend a ton of time on the road and would love to tune in on those long drives.

From another Thread here, I put up this Link to independent Reviews. A fellow who just bought a Crane loves it:

Shortwave Radio Reviews

My thoughts on achieving longer operating time from a +6 VDC Radio like the Crane:

'The Hand Crank-type Radios are so-so; I have several. I also have some older Portables. Radios that run off of +6 Volts [4 x 1.5 Volt Batteries] likely run fine off of +5 Volts USB. A 12 Volt Cig Lighter -> USB Plug is at Wally World. You can adapt a Cord to go from USB to a Radio DC Input. This way, you can run a Radio intermittently 'forever' off a charged Vehicle Battery, or a Solar Panel, via Cig Lighter [or Battery Clips] -> USB Plug -> Radio.'

Amongst the Radios I have, I've used 2 Travel Sonys the size of a Cassette Case. Great products. They come with a spooled Antenna you can toss out and clip on the Radio Whip for super reception. I bought them at Duty Free leaving Amsterdam.

Blaupunkt and other Vehicle Radios in Germany have Shortwave Bands. And, they have their unique Weather Bands. Regardless of what you're listening to, the Weather/Road info overrides on the hour at a fixed volume to give info on Autobahn conditions, etc.. Pretty handy. AM Bands there are spaced at 9 kHz vs. U.S. 10 kHz, but are internally selectable between the two settings.

The trick is avoiding Sparkplug/Ignition noise in Vehicles when listening to Shortwave.

Shortwave Broadcasters bang out so much Radiated Power, Antennas can be modest size anymore. Also, you can 'multi task' an Antenna. Disconnect a 102" CB Whip and clip the center Coax lead to a Shortwave Receiver. You'll have plenty of 'metal' up in the air with such a Whip. If you knock down the noise w/Resistor Spark Plug Wires and an optional Cap [in Ham Books], you could put a Shortwave Radio Headphone 'Out' to a Car Deck 'Aux In' and listen that way.

Part of my Road Kit is a handheld CB w/Weather Bands and some external Antennas.

I also used some old Speaker Wire laying around when I Boondocked at Lake Powell last November. Twist the far bare ends together, and clip just one near end to your Radio. Now, you've got an Antenna 2x the length of the wire run: out and back.
    Last edited by Engineer Guy; 03-18-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHawk View Post
    This was timely as I was looking at a Midland unit. Thanks for rx.
    Ladyhawk, I have a couple of the Midland units. I am currently using a Midland BaseCamp XT511. I bought it because I already had some Midland 2-ways in camo and wanted a match I guess. I am pretty happy with it. I like the two way hands free feature and unlike many other reviewers, my reception is great. I wish it had shortwave reception but AM/FM/GMRS/Weather is good enough for me. I Also bought it because of battery continuity with the 2-ways and I had already built a solar panel charger with the connector for the 2-ways and it fits the basecamp as well.

It is a much larger unit then most of the CCranes. If you don't need/want GMRS it may not be the best choice for you.

This is on my radar of things to get. I appreciate your review.

Nice radio, I love the portables. I recently picked up another Sangean, an ATS-818 from ebay cheap, needed something to replace the older ATS-803A. They're great for camping, I use a slinky antenna when I'm away from home and I have one set up at the house as well, along with a long wire antenna. I've got a Realistic DX-160 collecting dust on the shelf now, but I'll get it hooked back up someday. For the limited listening I do anymore, the portable works great. I've have a nice little DX-375 also, but no SSB on that one, but it does fit nicely in the BOB. There are tons of decent radios out there, they make a nice addition to your preps, and you can find some bargains if you're patient. eham.net is a good place to check out reviews of radios when you're shopping for that bargain.

I have the smaller travel size. It is good, but wish I had gotten your model.....
    Rock of the Marne
    1/30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division