Thread: Alternative Emergency remedies

Default Alternative Emergency remedies

OK all you medical professionals, I have got a question for you. I ranch about an hour drive to the closest medical facility, and have over the years resorted to quick fixes instead of dropping everything and making the drive to a hospital.

For instance: Once while palpating cattle, I crushed my hand, or a cow did, and I had many more to do before leaving the job. I took 6 aspirin and a few beers and went back to work until the cows were all recorded.

Severly burned my eyes while welding one day, and went with a potato poultice and aspirin to get by.

So the question is, will an EpiPen do anything good for snakebite? I thought it might come in handy.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Not unless you're allergic to the snakes. Thats not how the snake venom works, though.
    Good medicine in bad places

Hmmm! Good question as I thought Epi-pens were about allergic reactions. Saw several sites that said the Epi pens were a go for snake bites and then this:

"...Epinephrine for snakebite?

Q.} Would an EpiPen serve any good purpose in treating a snakebite?
    Submitted by: Mike, San Jose, CA
    A.} A severe allergic reaction to the bites of 
poisonous critters of all shapes and sizes is always possible—in which case, yes, your EpiPen
would most likely reverse the reaction and prevent you from entering anaphylactic shock. But, no, epinephrine will not help—and should not be used—to aid your body in dealing with its reaction to the
venom itself. You want to stay calm when envenomated, and epi does not help
you stay calm. It excites you. To find out the right way to treat a snakebite..." http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/285
    "...Your most important survival tool is your brain -think!..."
    Rand of the Return of Planet X

I know camels don't like atropine injectors. Don't even bother asking how I know this.

Craig

fidel +1
    "Wisely and slow; they stumble that run fast"

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasR.N. View Post
    I know camels don't like atropine injectors. Don't even bother asking how I know this.

Craig
    Sorry... but I have to ask why...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

I would not use an epi pen for a snake bite unless I knew that I was allergic to the venom. Epi causes vascular constriction which basically dramatically decreases the available blood supply to the area where the epi was injected. While this is good for an allergic reaction where you want to limit the absorption of the allergen, Snake venom causes severe tissue damage. Your body will attempt to dilute the venom. The epi will cause it to stay in one area and cause massive tissue death and/or organ failure.
    " I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier"

No, I wouldn't use an epi pen unless allergic on venomous creatures. Epi will (as noted above) increase ones blood pressure AND increase Cardiac Output and heart rate. This will effectively cause the venom to course throughout the body extremely rapidly, if it is a systemic (whole body) reaction venom. A bee sting is not systemic, it is a localized reaction unless allergic.
    Whereas you might have 30-60 minutes to get the anti-venom for a rattler, with Epi, you'd have about 3-5 minutes or less, imho. Also, don't suck venom out with your mouth, it will be absorbed into your bloodstream by your mucous membranes, use a different kind of suction device.

Further, one should not use aspirin for pain relief in any kind of bleeding injury. Aspirin will inhibit your own clotting mechanisms. A crush often will damage small blood vessels and using aspirin reduces your own blood's ability to clot. This could cause increase bleeding into the injury and cause further swelling, damage and pain. Same thing with broken bones and, strains, sprains, bruising and such. I take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen or Tylenol(R) (acetaminophen) for these kinds of injuries. Folks take an aspirin daily to prevent heart attacks by blood clots. Check with your own licensed medical professional if unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    Sorry... but I have to ask why...
    In a distant land, a long, long, time ago there was a handful of bored young American service members and an unfortunate camel that happened to wander by.....

Craig

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by TexasR.N. View Post
    In a distant land, a long, long, time ago there was a handful of bored young American service members and an unfortunate camel that happened to wander by.....

Craig
    Nuff said Obi Wan...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...