Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food skyrockets to highest prices ever

Default Food skyrockets to highest prices ever

http://www.naturalnews.com/030961_fo...inflation.html

Food skyrockets to highest prices ever

Monday, January 10, 2011

(NaturalNews) Figures recently released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) index of 55 food commodities indicates that worldwide food prices hit a record high in December. Though the costs of some food commodities like rice, corn and soy actually decreased, oil seeds and sugar jumped significantly due to various factors including erratic weather and droughts, according to reports.

In the past, such ups and downs on the commodity market did not immediately affect actual food costs for consumers, but some experts say that this is no longer the case, and that "food inflation" will occur right alongside the commodity price gains. And rapid food inflation has already taken place in India, for example, with recent reports indicating that the country experienced an overall food inflation rate of 18 percent in 2010.

Low food stocks, droughts and poor weather conditions have all contributed to the escalating food crisis, which has led many nations to cut off exports in order to save supplies for their own populations. And the resulting global shortages only exacerbate the problem further as importing nations scramble to source needed commodities for their own populations.

Abdolreza Abbassian, a senior economist at the FAO, explained in a Bloomberg report that since not all commodity prices are rising, the overall indicator can be deceiving. Even so, prices across the board may increase as a result of a domino effect from the commodities that are in short supply, or even from the same conditions like droughts and poor weather that have caused shortages and price increases in the other categories.

Rising global food prices and supply uncertainty are just another reason why self-sufficiency is vital to long-term survival. Individuals who grow their own food and live off their own land as much as possible will not be affected by volatile supply and demand issues that affect the global food market.

and for the first time i got paid over 2.00 a pound wholesale on pecans. I will tell you right now it is going to be a hard year on th food budjet. The signs of raising cost have been there. We have all talked about it in here and else where, smaller packging, importing food etc...

I strongly urge you all to implement a garden program in you lifestyles.

I'm in fast food, and can attest to the rising prices. I have experienced some substantial food cost increases. I can't just pass these increases on to the consumer. The additional costs cause a slight rise on the menu, but I must eat most of it and hope for a reduction.

Keep that in kind when you drive up to the window and about pass out from the menu pricing.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

when prices climb, smart shoppers only buy when they can get a deal.

that's a major advantage of having a stocked pantry. you can hold off on buying items until you can get a good deal then stock back up.

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    and for the first time i got paid over 2.00 a pound wholesale on pecans. I will tell you right now it is going to be a hard year on th food budjet. The signs of raising cost have been there. We have all talked about it in here and else where, smaller packging, importing food etc...

I strongly urge you all to implement a garden program in you lifestyles.
    BB your exactly right, tough year (years) coming. Get your garden seed, fruit trees, bushes, etc soon. There are a lot of folks (non preppers) who will have enough since to do this as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see shortages of seeds and stuff my early to mid spring.
    Don't forget to keep a check on the local farmers market's, fresh food and helps support the local economy. Another thing to keep in mind is the pick your own farms. Some good values to be found along with top of the line quality.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

going to contribute to unrest also.
    just a part of the general pattern of inflation.
    the kettle is heating up.

Growing our own food is something we've talked about for some time and have never done anything about it. Time for that to change.

Skill over gear, technique over strength, call it what you want but good old dirty hands practical knowledge of farming and gardening is going to have an increased place in your prepping life.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Growing our own food is something we've talked about for some time and have never done anything about it. Time for that to change.
    do it! learnign to grow plants isn't time comsuming. but it does take time ot get good at it as well as learn what your soil and weather conditions can support.

I'm going into year 3 and still learning and experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by USJudo View Post
    Skill over gear, technique over strength, call it what you want but good old dirty hands practical knowledge of farming and gardening is going to have an increased place in your prepping life.
    +1000 if you've never grown any of your own food I would recommend getting started, if that is part of your planning. It can be tough in the best of times. Getting the learning curve out of the way will pay huge benifits later.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13