Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food skyrockets to highest prices ever

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I had the same problem with my blackeye peas last summer you decsribed with your tomatoes. Had the biggest, prettiest vines you ever saw..nice dark green leaves 3/4 the size of a dinner plate...and nary a pea pod on them. I read in one of my gardening books that too much nitrogen could possibly have been the problem. My brother said I planted on the wrong phase of the moon. Never believed much in that suff about moon phases, but this year I will plant according to the almanac and see what happens. About growing tomatoes, I read that if you crush up egg shells and mix some into the soil where you plant tomatoes, the tomatoes will benefit from the calcium they provide. This may help prevent blossom end rot. Also, place some crushed egg shells on the surface around your tomato plants and the sharp edges will discourage slugs from invading your tomatoes.
    Too much nitrogen was my problem for sure. I never feed my beans/peas since they fix nitrogen in the soil, so don't know if that got yours or not. It does sound like it.
    I always(weather permitting) plant by the moon and stars. I've done it for years, as does my dad, so did my grandpa. It does seem to make some difference. I have a book(can't remember the title) that is a companion to use with the almanac that explains how all that supposedly works. It made sense after reading it. OTOH making sense to mee may not mean much. I'll find the title to that book and send you. One last thing, I like Blum's almanac better than the old farmers version. Seems to have more details.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Too much nitrogen was my problem for sure. I never feed my beans/peas since they fix nitrogen in the soil, so don't know if that got yours or not. It does sound like it.
    I always(weather permitting) plant by the moon and stars. I've done it for years, as does my dad, so did my grandpa. It does seem to make some difference. I have a book(can't remember the title) that is a companion to use with the almanac that explains how all that supposedly works. It made sense after reading it. OTOH making sense to mee may not mean much. I'll find the title to that book and send you. One last thing, I like Blum's almanac better than the old farmers version. Seems to have more details.
    If you can find the title of that book I would very much appreciate it. You can just PM me if you do. I definitely agree on Blums almanac. That's the one I buy too.

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    and for the first time i got paid over 2.00 a pound wholesale on pecans. I will tell you right now it is going to be a hard year on th food budjet. The signs of raising cost have been there. We have all talked about it in here and else where, smaller packging, importing food etc...

I strongly urge you all to implement a garden program in you lifestyles.
    Would love to, but live in an apartment.

I've been stocking up on canned stuff lately.

Quote Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
    I had the same problem with my blackeye peas last summer you decsribed with your tomatoes. Had the biggest, prettiest vines you ever saw..nice dark green leaves 3/4 the size of a dinner plate...and nary a pea pod on them. I read in one of my gardening books that too much nitrogen could possibly have been the problem. My brother said I planted on the wrong phase of the moon. Never believed much in that suff about moon phases, but this year I will plant according to the almanac and see what happens. About growing tomatoes, I read that if you crush up egg shells and mix some into the soil where you plant tomatoes, the tomatoes will benefit from the calcium they provide. This may help prevent blossom end rot. Also, place some crushed egg shells on the surface around your tomato plants and the sharp edges will discourage slugs from invading your tomatoes.
    How are your bees? The post didn't say but you mention big beautiful plants, did you get blossoms at all? If you got blossoms maybe it was a pollination problem. Last year was particularly cold here in WA and we were out hand pollinating all of our tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. Just barely touch the base of the stem right above the flower with it and let it vibrate for a second. I had a much larger yield than all of my neighobrs, but only because I hand pollinated. Each season we are getting fewer and fewer bees. So much so, now we are going to put in 3 beehives this year. That learning curve might sting a bit LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by explo72 View Post
    going to contribute to unrest also.
    just a part of the general pattern of inflation.
    the kettle is heating up.
    I agree, I believe our Governments biggest worry is the 50% of the people in the US who rely on Gov assistance of some kind becoming unruly. Hence the extension of unemployment benefits, food stamps, etc. Note, I am not saying that people either should or shouldn't receive assistance, that is another discussion, but rather that our Government will keep spending like there is no tomorrow to forestall civil unrest. I wonder at what point, 15%, 25%, or more unemployment they will be unable to borrow enough money from China to make the assistance payments? Many of the Governments policies in the Great Depression were instituted to forestall civil unrest much more than they were to really help people.

The elites can not maintain their hold on society if the havenots get to0 rowdy. I believe that is why so many jobs are exported overseas, it has less to do with costs, than it does with having access to a docile labor force (in China, Vietnam, etc) that is easily controlled by dictatorial regimes. Only the small businessmen and women, and the family farmers/shop owners etc, are still real "capitalists" in America.

IMHO, many of the large Conglomerates are "nation-free" oligarchs, with no allegiance to the USA or any other country. The "Corporate" entity, which is recognized as an "individual" even, with "rights" by our legal system, is an abomination. Limited partneships, which hold the owners liable for their actions/products, were a much better and socially responsible form of business. The extreme run up in food prices is largely a part of speculation as well as real shortages in certain areas/countries. Sorry, I apologize for going off topic, thank fully prepping and gardening helps shave some of the price shocks for us, so we can buy on dips.

Ordered my heirlooms seeds two weeks ago. 45 day delivery time.
    "Though He slay me, yet shall I trust Him." -Job

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDoThis View Post
    Ordered my heirlooms seeds two weeks ago. 45 day delivery time.
    Where did you order from? I just ordered from Baker Creek last Saturday and got my full order on Wed. They did have a note in the package talking about how swamped they were and are concerned over seed running short this year.
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Quote Originally Posted by EMH1701 View Post
    Would love to, but live in an apartment.

I've been stocking up on canned stuff lately.
    Planter boxes and flower pots are your friend.
    Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

Nobody owes you anything. You're only entitled to what you worked for.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by ravensgrove View Post
    How are your bees? The post didn't say but you mention big beautiful plants, did you get blossoms at all? If you got blossoms maybe it was a pollination problem. Last year was particularly cold here in WA and we were out hand pollinating all of our tomatoes with an electric toothbrush. Just barely touch the base of the stem right above the flower with it and let it vibrate for a second. I had a much larger yield than all of my neighobrs, but only because I hand pollinated. Each season we are getting fewer and fewer bees. So much so, now we are going to put in 3 beehives this year. That learning curve might sting a bit LOL.
    It was cooler than normal longer than normal here also. Bees were late getting started but finally showed up. There were no blooms on any of the vines either, so I don't think pollination was the problem. Just a big puzzle with some key pieces missing. After the weather warmed up I had plenty of bees, both honey bees and bumble bees. Also plenty of wasps. Getting excited about the coming spring and summer. Soon be time to plant again and I can hardly wait. There's nothing so sweet as the aroma of freshly plowed ground...less its the aroma of fresh vegetables cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
    Planter boxes and flower pots are your friend.
    I'm growing a Rubbermaid garden this spring. The big gray tubs at walmart are like $3-5 at Walmart.
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.