Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What can be used to "clean up" generator power for sensitive electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sledster View Post
    Grapeshot,

That's exactly the best method I have found for my situation as well.
    The washing machine and refrigerator dont need perfect sine wave power to run, but I put the laptop and my scanners on the UPS.
    We have several of them around the house for different purposes and it works out well. The APC I bought was less than $100.00.

Sledster
    Actually refrigerators are quite sensitive. The electric thermostat is very sensitive. After a "minor incident" i use voltage regulators for my refrigerator and central heating. An refrigerator would drain an ups in minutes and bring no extra benefits for the extra cost

I'll try a few explanations.
    Voltage stabilizers and AVR's (Automatic Voltage Regulator) are about the same thing. About because the same name i used (stabilizers) to define the electronic equipment that are designed to provide stable output voltage (usually DC) when the input voltage varies within certain limits. AVR performs the same role, but for AC. For example, if you want to power sensitive electronic equipment from voltage variations, DC, is not as simply as installing voltage rectifier in place but a voltage regulator. This is an electronic device that makes the output voltage to have a stabilized, constant, regardless of input voltage variations.
    If you want to run certain appliances (television, audio / video, and even a refrigerator), use a voltage regulator 220/220. AVR's can be easily made all electronics, but some auto transformers are generally manned by a servo motor that reacts to voltage fluctuations. When voltage drops actuator moves a cursor on the AT and makes the output voltage to rise to the prescribed value (Ex.220V), if the actuator works well for voltage increase. maintain the same output voltage of 220V. AVR's have some disadvantage in crashes because they have to react to voltage variations, about 2-3 seconds and make a noise.

you can get a generator grade UPS. they will regulate the voltage and the frequency by switching to battery to take care of the spikes. we use them on towboats which run entirely on generator power.

I have a super cheap 1200w 2 stroke generator that I use to do a fireworks tent around the 4th of july and I run a bunch of cheap lights a tv dvd player and charge my laptop and cash register. I used a monster power center and it worked great everytime the generator would run low on gas the surge protector would shut off power. I ran like this for 10 days 2 years straight and worked well.