Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snowed In

Like it already, keep them coming....

every definition of "revolver" I've seen starts with "a pistol". such as: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/revolver
    a pistol having a revolving multichambered cylinder that allows several shots to be discharged without reloading
    but aside from the nitpickery, yes, a nice start to a story.

More please. It is getting good.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaig View Post
    every definition of "revolver" I've seen starts with "a pistol". such as: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/revolver

but aside from the nitpickery, yes, a nice start to a story.
    Thanks! My sentiments exactly.. More to come. Holidays and all!
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

Christmas morning, Bill was awakened by the ringing of the telephone on the night stand beside his bed. It was his eldest son calling. "Dad, have you looked outside? It must have snowed another foot over night."

"No, Tim, I haven't looked. Did your sister make it in last night. I hope the weather didn't deter her and Beau from coming up for Christmas." Bill's daughter, Erin, was the second of the Miller children, and the spitting image of her late mother. She had married a business man with a Harvard degree, who had come into town one winter for a winter getaway. Erin was working at the outfitter store when he came in to purchase some clothes. Erin had described it as love at first sight or something, but Bill always felt as if her husband was a little different. He wasn't to keen on a man who "went after a girl half his age," as Bill always said. Truthfully, he was 27 when they met eight years back, and Erin was 19, but he provided for Erin, and she seemed to be happy and in love, so he supported her decision to marry him and move into the "city" to build their family. He still had his fatherly suspicions about the man, he didn't trust bankers very much anyways.

"Yeah, I think she pulled in last night. I think Beau was already up here, but I'm not sure. Thought I saw his Urban Assault vehicle yesterday. You should give her a call," was Tim's reply, making fun of the overpriced Mercedes-Benz suv driven by Erin's husband.

"I will son. Merry Christmas. I'll see you guys in a bit," Bill said as he hung up the phone. He could smell the pot of coffee brewing in the kitchen as he swung himself out of bed. He threw on a fleece sweatshirt and made his way into the kitchen for some breakfast. He had a lot to do, and a few more presents to wrap before the kids and grandkids came up that afternoon. He picked up the phone to call Erin.

"Hey dad!" the excited voice answered the phone. "Merry Christmas! Are you ok? I saw the paper this morning. You got attacked?!"

"Hey honey. I'm fine. Just a bump on the head is all. Glad you made it alright. Hope you didn't have any trouble." Bill said.

"No, I was fine. You know I'm experienced driving on this stuff. You taught me well. I got in with the kids about 9pm last night. Right before the big snow fell. Beau came in on Friday. He had some stuff to do for work and wanted some peace and quiet to finish it before me and the kids arrived." Erin explained. "He didn't even go into town to get a tree. I had to cut one down out back. The kids are decorating it now."

"Well, he should have called me. I could've picked one up for him. I didn't even notice any lights on at your cabin," Bill replied. He always did think that boy was kind of odd.
    Last edited by TEOTWAWKI13; 12-27-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    Those who do evil to others - the killers, the rapists, psychos, sadists - you will come to know me well. Call me... The Punisher.

thanks for the update. keep it coming when you can.
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

good good keep um coming

areal good start.

The snow was still falling heavily as Erin began shuffling around the cabin, getting dressed, making coffee and breakfast for her kids and husband. Beau walked into the kitchen, smelling the pleasant aroma of eggs and bacon, biscuits and gravy.

"Mmmm, smells good honey," the husband said.

"Yeah, and I hope you're hungry. I cooked enough for an army. You want to get the kids up or let them sleep?" Erin replied. The couples kids were old enough that Santa was just a fictitious character that made Christmas enjoyable, but they knew he didn't come down chimneys anymore.

"Let 'em sleep. It's gonna be a long day," her husband replied.

Content to let them sleep, Erin and Beau sat down for a nice Christmas breakfast and made small talk over their food and coffee. They wouldn't be having lunch, as the whole family was getting together at her dad's cabin around 4pm for the family Christmas festivities, so they ate like it was going out of style.

Soon, it was 2pm and the snow was still falling. If not for the close proximity to her father's place, and a good set of snow chains, they wouldn't make it up the mountain to have Christmas with the family.

Getting dressed for the evening, Erin went to the closet to pick out her outfit. She glanced up at the top of the closet and noticed a shoe box. "What's this honey?" she asked as she reached up to grab the box. "A gift for me?!" She was always a bit of a snoop at Christmas time.

"Hey, put that back!" shouted Beau, as he grabbed the box out of her hands, just before she opened it. "It's a...a surprise." he stuttered.

"Well, OK! You're no fun!" she teased her husband as he virtually jerked the box out of her hands. "I'll just have to wait to see what the surprise is."

"Yeah, yeah you will," Beau responded. "And I promise, you'll never see it coming either. It's a good one."

With that, they finished dressing, made sure the kids were ready, and started loading gifts and trinkets into the vehicle to make their way up the mountain for the evening.

Bill was sitting by the fire, waiting on his kids and grandkids, who would be arriving in the next few minutes, when the phone rang.

"Hello. Oh hey Joe. Yeah, I'm fine. It'll take a lot more than a knock on the head to stop this old geezer. Sure, you can ask me whatever you'd like. I'm an open book. What? 1987? Well, I don't think too much about those days anymore. That's just an event you have to try to put behind you and move on, you know? It was something that just had to be done. You've been doing what? Why? Well, if you feel it's that important that it can't wait, come on up. The kids will be here, but we can talk for a few minutes." With that, Bill hung up his phone. "That old boy's been in that hardware store way too long," Bill said under his breath. Looking out the window, he couldn't imagine how much snow would continue to fall.

more please. lovin it.