Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The (silver) buck stops here! The Consolidated thread on PM's

Good luck eating that post SHTF. =P

I have 99% pure silver eagles and other rounds.

+1 for buying a mix. If I just had to buy one form of silver I would buy junk dimes. They aren't worth enough to be a target for forgeries, are so small they are difficult to "drill and fill" and they are such a small denomination it is easy to make change. All of these add up to mean that they should always be easy to use no matter what type of sh*t hits the fan. So I would suggest buying a mix of junk silver and 1 oz silver rounds/coins to cover all ur bases and maybe a few rare or commemorative coins if ur feeling optimistic about the future. I wouldn't suggest buying silver in bars 1 oz or larger because they become easy to drill and fill with lead. If you want to store a lot of wealth in pms go with gold, not large bars of silver.

Sadly all of my gold and silver were lost.... Along with all of my guns and ammo in a canoe accident last year
    I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Quote Originally Posted by RDLong70 View Post
    Unfortunately you just don't understand the concept. What if you had ALL the bases covered, EVERYTHING! What if you had a basement full of food, guns and ammo? I literally have ammo that my grandsons will be giving to their children.
    If you had a fair amount of money, would you keep cash in the house to use to start fires in a post-SHTF world? Put it in the bank to earn 1% interest? As the dollar has dropped in value my $40k in gold and silver has been a good place to stash some cash.

I would put extra cash into.....food, ammo, medical, solar panels, batteries, clothing, boots, shoes, gloves, garden supplies, more land....the list could be endless.
    If you have all of this covered in great amounts, hell you would never need to barter.
    I could see having some 1964 silver coins and such, as I think that would be currency after SHTF.
    But as time went on, I think the people would start a new system of paper money just like the South did in the Civil War.

cool it down guys, already removed a post because it had potential to become a flame war...

I buy both. Also I have some copper.

Quote Originally Posted by RDLong70 View Post
    I'm going to make my obligatory "jews escaped '40's with gold and diamonds not superpails of rice" just to make sure everyone gets both sides of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    I have been working through some old financial papers recently (scanning, etc.) and came upon a receipt from about five years ago (March 2005) for a silver purchase ..... $7.45/oz. Times, they be a chang'n.
    i remember once upon a time laughing at a fellow on ebay who was trying to sell 100 ounce engelhard bars for 500$ a piece. i sent him an email pointing out the then very low spot on silver and he replied 'but if someone buys them i'll get what i invested out of um'. boy i wish i picked up a few of those when you could easily find them for under 400 a pop WITH shipping.