Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The (silver) buck stops here! The Consolidated thread on PM's

Quote Originally Posted by RDLong70 View Post
    Actually it is not that at all. I or anyone here could drop $100 on Silver tomorrow morning if they wanted and not be robbing the grocery money, etc. It's just I have a different mindset than some others when it comes to investing in metals. See, to me Silver, Gold and Diamonds are nothing more than shiny rocks. I know they have some value to other humans, but not to me personally. In the case of a TEOTWAWKI situation I don't think having them is going to be as good of a barter item as extra ammo and food.

Now if you want to use them as an investment to earn more money in the future, well that is the same as playing any stock on the market. Which takes some time and research to get really good at buying and selling. Plus if you are not careful you can lose your whole bankroll as some did in 2008.

I'm not really trying to knock anyone who deals in this stuff and does well. I just know it's not for me. I'll stick to things that go bang and growing veggies in the garden. =)
    You're missing the point of commerce. You don't buy the gold, silver, etc. for your own needs - you buy it for resale later, preferably when paper money has lost all value and none of the debit machines work. Precious metals are no more than shiny rocks, but they can buy farmhands, weapons, and equipment -- things, you know, that actually do directly impact your success on the farm.
    I N O M N I A P A R A T U S

Hmm, interesting comments.

The farmhand I believe would rather have breakfast and a hot supper than a fleck of Gold.

There indeed might be those that will take PMs in barter after SHTF, but I just can't see why. It's just not logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RDLong70 View Post
    The farmhand I believe would rather have breakfast and a hot supper than a fleck of Gold.
    A farmhand won't work for you, to see no other future for himself, if your neighbor offers the same meals, the same lodging, and the fleck of gold.

At that point and time I'm sure the "next meal" will be on everyone's "future" plan for themselves.

When SHTF, I don't believe that there will be a premium or collector value for silver, it will simply be the value of the silver in the coin/bar (99%, 65%, etc.). When you go to purchase/acquire an item it will most likely have a trade value, or cost in silver or gold regardless of the form it is in ("will swap for kerosene, flour or 1/8 oz gold or 3 oz silver"). I think silver is a smarter move than gold because making change, will not be easy and smaller amounts/denominations will be easier to use in a barter economy.

Both junk and silver coins (American Eagles and Maple Leafs) have their place. Tulving Company is excellent to deal with and very fair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You are making an awful lot of assumptions based on how you think other people should behave.

I really hope that if trouble happens people behave the way you want them to, and all your assumptions pan out.
    Very true. But seeing how most all of us here on the forum have really never been in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation, then everything we talk about is an assumption.

I have about 35 ounces of silver on hand in both Troy ounce rounds, .gov ounce rounds (Silver maples) and 5 and 10 oz bars. It's a good hedge against inflation and good post-SHTF currency. Can't go wrong.

"I have been buying small 1-5 troy oz silver bullions since sometime last year... then price was around $8.00 or so."

Where have you been buying that silver, i want to get some as well!! Last time sliver was at $8 an ounce was 2005.

Buy it all....................