Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The (silver) buck stops here! The Consolidated thread on PM's

Get both! LOL

Really I think you can't go wrong with either choice.

Junk:
    junk silver has less markup
    junk silver is easily had in smaller denominations, so easy to make change with
    fairly easy to figure as a multiple of face value

Eagle/Maple:
    widely recognized as silver coins, even says so on the coin
    very popular
    collectible for the coin itself and also the silver content
    can be had at a low "over spot" price if you do your shopping

Wow, another thread on PMs. O_o

I have been buying small 1-5 troy oz silver bullions since sometime last year... then price was around $8.00 or so. Now, the price of same amt is going around $18.00-19.00 so I think that's a pretty good investment in its self. My father also left me a couple of bags of "junk silver" coins and various other foreign paper $$$'s. If you are looking for a minting company try: NorthWest Territory mint in Washington state.... hope this helps you!!

my choice is junk silver.

over $18 per oz today

Interesting how some people assume that if you purchase one thing you will forgo the purchase of another. Not everyone is in such bad shape that the $100 they spend on some silver would be taking food off their table.
    I N O M N I A P A R A T U S

I have been working through some old financial papers recently (scanning, etc.) and came upon a receipt from about five years ago (March 2005) for a silver purchase ..... $7.45/oz. Times, they be a chang'n.
    "I never should have made it, but I'm still alive" "Dead End Streets", RevCo

Both. It gives you a good mix of "denomination". Silver Eagles and such are better for transferring "before SHTF wealth" into "post SHTF wealth", but silver isn't a great way to do that. For actual use, I think a mix gives you flexibility.

John

Quote Originally Posted by EightSeven View Post
    Interesting how some people assume that if you purchase one thing you will forgo the purchase of another. Not everyone is in such bad shape that the $100 they spend on some silver would be taking food off their table.
    Actually it is not that at all. I or anyone here could drop $100 on Silver tomorrow morning if they wanted and not be robbing the grocery money, etc. It's just I have a different mindset than some others when it comes to investing in metals. See, to me Silver, Gold and Diamonds are nothing more than shiny rocks. I know they have some value to other humans, but not to me personally. In the case of a TEOTWAWKI situation I don't think having them is going to be as good of a barter item as extra ammo and food.

Now if you want to use them as an investment to earn more money in the future, well that is the same as playing any stock on the market. Which takes some time and research to get really good at buying and selling. Plus if you are not careful you can lose your whole bankroll as some did in 2008.

I'm not really trying to knock anyone who deals in this stuff and does well. I just know it's not for me. I'll stick to things that go bang and growing veggies in the garden. =)

All true, but you are far far better off to have something that YOU want and thus have no need to barter.