Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Portable Communications Box Project - Picture Heavy

I'm very very impressed!!!! Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker1513 View Post
    Duplicity,
    Very nice station, I'm impressed. What power supply are you using? Is the box a Pelican case? How have you wired the case for external connections, coax, 120v power, etc? Do you use any digital comms, APRS, Winlink, Pactor, etc?
    Our ARES group does quite a lot of digital traffic and several of our members have built cases similar to yours. They work out very well for feild work, amazingly well.
    one last thing, what software did you use for the schematic? I've been looking for something along those lines and haven't found anything I like yet.
    Bacpacker
    Bacpacker... I have never done any of the digital stuff, so I'm not sure what allowances within the planning that would need to made. Looking at the manual for the 857D, there are a few jacks on the back that I would like to extend forward as remote jacks...

There is a 6 pin min-DIN data jack for connection to a TNC
    External speacker jack
    Key jack

Is there any additional allowance that needs to be made for digital use???

Thanks!

That is totaly impressive! What are you doing for transporting your portable antennas and external cabling ? I bet it is equally awesome.
    Preparing so that I may live better today and post shtf.

Nice job. How much would something like that cost if you were to do it for somebody?
    I was twisting around the Idea of a mobil pack to carry a CB and scanner, very basic system that you could toss in the back of the jeep and carry to remote location. Set it up to run of a 12 volt battery w solar panel charger or small gene set to charge up battery.

This would be for a secure base camp or deer camp type of set up. actually was thinking of 5 to be placed in faraday cages at five different house holds as a back up system for the local family.

How to pacage the systems for easy storage and set up has been my delima but your pack would work.

Quote Originally Posted by brushbuster67 View Post
    Nice job. How much would something like that cost if you were to do it for somebody?
    I was twisting around the Idea of a mobil pack to carry a CB and scanner, very basic system that you could toss in the back of the jeep and carry to remote location. Set it up to run of a 12 volt battery w solar panel charger or small gene set to charge up battery.

This would be for a secure base camp or deer camp type of set up. actually was thinking of 5 to be placed in faraday cages at five different house holds as a back up system for the local family.

How to pacage the systems for easy storage and set up has been my delima but your pack would work.
    Not much at all... the trick is making it work with your components... these test panels have a material cost of less than $5.00...

Top notch!
    Run away!

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicity View Post
    Bacpacker... I have never done any of the digital stuff, so I'm not sure what allowances within the planning that would need to made. Looking at the manual for the 857D, there are a few jacks on the back that I would like to extend forward as remote jacks...

There is a 6 pin min-DIN data jack for connection to a TNC
    External speacker jack
    Key jack

Is there any additional allowance that needs to be made for digital use???

Thanks!
    The only allowance would be space for a TNC, plus power and radio connections which would be made inside the box. The TNC is not very big and draws very little current (The Kantronics KPC-3 I use will also run on a 9V battery if needed).
    bacpacker
    Greater love hath no man than this, That a man lay down his life for a friend.
    John 15:13

Well played, and nicely done.

Thnx for sharing

XX

Cutting out test sample #3 tonight... made some changes and glued together sample #2 yesterday. Put everything together and put the frame inside the plastic enclosure... the lid was 1/8 inch short of closing... something was binding or hindering the lid... the problem is you can't see inside the box to see where it is...

So, I am trimming down the over all height another 1/8" and cutting and gluding #3.... hope this will be the last test version....

unlikely, but one can hope...

use a paint brush and some baby powder to dust the top of you panels, gently close the lid and the powder where contact is made will be disturbed and leave a mark own the lid.