Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Public safety personnel

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    1. Short-term. There is a legitimate threat of a terrorist attack in/near your place of work and/or hometown.

Stay at work hunker down and prepare for the storm...tell the family to bug out and that I would meet them there.

2. Short-term. A natural disaster strikes, sort of a hurricane Katrina type situation.

Still stay at work and the old lady can hold her own with the help of the rest of the family's guns too.

3. Unknown (could turn into #4) Power goes out completely indefinitely due to a terrorist attack.

Probably stay for a while then would have to go home after a few days. Family comes first.

4. Long-term. The full blown shtf. Money is no good anymore, power is out completely, people getting unruly and making bad decisions, violence is getting common.

Leave without thinking twice cause stuff is going to be circling the drain fast and then bug the heck out.
    I am not in Law Enforcement in any way so my opinion might not count but I think this is basically how I would react to each of the given scenarios.

J-Mack for our facility the locks stay engaged on all the cell doors even if the power goes out. Wouldn't you lock down the facility and thenjust let them starve in their cells. I know our inmates can't break out of their cells unless they had extra help before hand and they would die of starvation or dehydration before they did it by themselves. I have been working in a Jail for almost 5 years now and I know what you mean. The Deputies get more PC and the courts are doing the same yet offenders are becoming more violent.
    Last edited by lamentingwarrior; 11-07-2010 at 08:09 AM.

As a LEO I constantly tell my co-workers that they need to have a plan IN PLACE for just such scenarios. Most dont listen. Ass most have said. For situations 1-3 it is pretty easy to keep your family close and cared for and still work. My family already knows what to do so that is not much of an issue plus they live where I work so I can keep an eye on my house.
    Situation #4 to me means everyman for himslef as LE and emergency services would cease to exist.
    “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
    Thomas Jefferson

I am the powdered donut KING!!!

LW, our locks MAY stay engaged, but I've seen inmates "pop" their doors; it's not all that difficult. Once they're out of their cells, it's over; the quads aren't all that secure, and neither are the officers' stations. WHY do they design facilites that way???

The offenders ARE becoming more violent, and they don't seem to care about a single thing; not a good combination. And definitely, the "system" is getting more PC all the time. A very few of the officers are going around in a pretty constant state of anger and frustration (another not-so-good combination); can't really DO anything, but don't want to quit & let the S slide closer to the fan. I wish the noobs would start taking the emergency plans that we do have seriously, for starters, and I hope that if anything DOES happen, the few of us who can foresee the possibilities are in place and can handle it.

As for the rest, I agree with texan; there's just so much you can do, and #'s 1, 2 and 3 are pretty much in the book. And his take on #4 as well, beyond a certain point.

I guess we are fortunate that are facility has the honey comb design where they have to defeat at least 5 levels of door security before they are outside. I think those since we are a jail we would probably let a few pods just go home. But the max pod would stay locked down indefinately were #4 to happen. If I were I would keep at least one weapon and bob bag in your vehicle when you go to work.