Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to Completely Erase Your Hard Drives, SSD and Thumb Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Remy1492 View Post
    And remember, an EMP may kill your drives ...
    An EMP will only kill the electronics on the outer card of an hdd, and will likely have have zero effect on the platters inside of the hdd. Don't rely on an EMP to erase your data :-)

the only effective means to assure the data on the hard drive isnt read by someone you dont want reading it:

- remove the hard drive from the computer
    - disassemble the hard drive to expose the round disks inside
    - burn the disks long enough for them to be at minimum physically warped. melting completely is best.

if youre not in a hurry you can disassemble the hard drive by removing the fasteners. the fastest way ive found to do it is bash the hard drive with a hammer till it exposes the platters then use a hand-held propane torch to melt them.

While that will certainly get rid of your data, full disk encryption also works. It works because "your data" is never even on the disk to begin with.

Only surefire way is physical destruction.

If you are not a violent person, there are a few Linux-based boot disks that have utilities you can use, like Darik's Boot and Nuke, which is my favorite. DoD standard plus other settings. Run that a few times and I'm happy.

For encryption, LocNote is a great small utility for text files, and TrueCrypt has no substitutes. PGP is a pain in the arse, but great if you want to pull out your hair.
    Do or die, there is no try

You're wrong about the physical destruction, but you're right that for a consumer, TrueCrypt really can't be beat (In the windows world at least)

Homeowner in Upstate NY north of the capital in lower middle class suburbia

Other than address and phone numbers, if they get mine....they get secrets like:

my opinion on the NY Giants forums
    what my favorite chineese food place is
    list of my favorite stores to get clothes
    Carnival cruise lines game
    and deer hunter 3

I say to "them" come and get it if you want it.

SP
    XBL gt: soberparty

the fact of the matter is, if the data is on the drive, encrypted or not, there is potential for that data to be accessed. that statement cannot be contradicted.

if the platters are completely physically destroyed in the manner i described there is no possible way the data can be retrieved. that statement cannot be contradicted.

Might try some hydroflouric acid (that's sthe stuff used to etch glass. Has to be stored in a thick walled glass container and then changed ever so often before it eats its way through the glass). Not much can survive a "bath" of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by infinityshock View Post
    the fact of the matter is, if the data is on the drive, encrypted or not, there is potential for that data to be accessed. that statement cannot be contradicted.

if the platters are completely physically destroyed in the manner i described there is no possible way the data can be retrieved. that statement cannot be contradicted.
    I agree with you 100%. The thing is, when a drive is properly encrypted, the data isn't actually on the drive.

someone, somehow, can potentially find a method to decrypt it. whether 'they' find the password and simply access the data like walking through an open door or use brute force tactics to access the data like using a battering ram to knock down a wall, the potential exists. remote potential or not...some things are better not left to chance.