Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moringa Oleifer - Tree of Life - Water- Food - Oil

Thumbs up Moringa Oleifer - Tree of Life - Water- Food - Oil

More stuff I didn't know about. This is not just for third world countries as stated, but a great prep item for WSHTF - multi use (oil, teas, add to foods) seeds are on internet for $1.99, can grow in containers indoors and in eight months can start using.

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Wo...ation_999.html

Worlds Most Usefull Tree Provides Low-Cost Water Purification

by Staff Writers
    Washington DC (SPX) Mar 08, 2010

A low-cost water purification technique published in Current Protocols in Microbiology could help drastically reduce the incidence of waterborne disease in the developing world....

"Moringa oleifera is a vegetable tree which is grown in Africa, Central and South America
    , the Indian subcontinent, and South East Asia. It could be considered to be one of the world's most useful trees,"

"Not only is it drought resistant, it also yields cooking and lighting oil, soil fertilizer, as well as highly nutritious food in the form of its pods, leaves, seeds and flowers. Perhaps most importantly, its seeds can be used to purify drinking water at virtually no cost."

Moringa tree seeds, when crushed into powder, can be used as a water-soluble extract in suspension, resulting in an effective natural clarification agent for highly turbid and untreated pathogenic surface water. As well as improving drinkability, this technique reduces water turbidity (cloudiness) making the result aesthetically as well as microbiologically more acceptable for human consumption.

Despite its live-saving potential, the technique is still not widely known, even in areas where the Moringa is routinely cultivated. It is therefore Lea's hope that the publication of this technique in a freely available protocol format, a first, will make it easier to disseminate the procedure to the communities that need it...

How to grow it???

http://www.moringafarms.com/growing_it.htm

"...The 12 Species of Moringa are among the heartiest in the Fauna kingdom. The most common species is Moringa Oleifera. Most research done in the areas of nutrition, water purification. live stock feed, vegetable dyes, herbal medicine and oil production are based on the Oleifera species. It is also the most plentiful. So, when we refer to Moringa we are referring to Moringa Oleifera...."
    Keep the Shiny Side Up!

thanks for the post, I'm going to look into it
    secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity

Moringa is awesome! I have known about it for a few years. I am in the process of stocking it. Everyone should have this stuff stocked up. It's fairly cheap too.
    Those who know, do not speak. Those who speak, do not know.

I agree Moringa is a Miracle Tree.. We encourage poor farmers to grow it for a cash drop as well as drying the leaves and added to diet as a suppliment-it literally saves lives.. The water purification is amazing..I am wondering what areas of the country you are growing it?

You can grow it in the south like Florida. In school we had a botanist come in and discuss different food plants and this was one of them. They send it to African countries to help with starvation. Its really quite amazing.
    Its dangerous to be right, when the government is wrong.

Thats what we do, and we are in South Florida :-)

I'm glad it's an option for here in Central Florida... I'm going to have to get some seeds to add to my preps.
    Thanks for this post!

Bran <><

Since Moringa Oleifer is a tree, although a small one, you should start growing it now or soon since it may take some time to reach maturity. I have no idea how long it takes to grown, or mature but when it does you have an amazing plant. Smells kinda like FRESH horseradish which is really nice, and I think the 'trunk' can be used as such.

Quote Originally Posted by mgralley View Post
    Since Moringa Oleifer is a tree, although a small one, you should start growing it now or soon since it may take some time to reach maturity. I have no idea how long it takes to grown, or mature but when it does you have an amazing plant. Smells kinda like FRESH horseradish which is really nice, and I think the 'trunk' can be used as such.
    According to the second link, "During its first year, a Moringa tree will grow up to five meters in height and produce flowers and fruit."

Bran <><

The ones I've seen must have been immature then because they were barely a foot tall. But they had an amazing smell to them, reminded me of horse radish. I wanted to grow one, but didn't have the money to buy a small one or the ability to plant it. Sucked living in a rented place because you could grown cool trees like this.