Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immediate or Delayed Bug Out.

Default Immediate or Delayed Bug Out.

My girlfriend and I live in Arlington, VA. It's a pretty populated area with I-95 being the primary Interstate running through it. As soon as SHTF my final destination is an undisclosed location in mid-atlantic Virginia. My family has two houses on about 20 acres of land that already has sustainable water and food sources. My question is should I leave immediately or give it 2 to 3 days for the situation to calm down?

Aside from an NBC attack on DC, there are obviously many other non-combat related emergencies that could occur (like the dissolution of the US, which, by the way, is completely believable and probable in today's world). If there was a NBC attack, we'd be out the door ASAP (and we'd probably die trying). But, if there was a panic from some other ordeal I think it would be beneficial to dig in for 2 or 3 days to assess the situation and plan for a better course of action. I've already got enough supplies to last for several days and I've got enough of an arsenal to deter any attempts to rob/enter our apartment.

I see two problems that I will face (and they both deal with my SWMBO):
    1. My girlfriend already thinks I'm crazy because I own weapons and I stockpile goods. She's a peace loving liberal from California and I'm former Marine from Virginia. I know it's an odd couple, but it works. If we don't leave immediately it would be hard for me to convince her that leaving is the appropriate course of action. She would say, "everything will be okay, lets just stay here."

2. If anything were to happen to me, my girlfriend would be completely unable to make decisions on her own.

I just feel that if we leave immediately we would get caught up in all sorts of crazy, panicky, and irrational events that are totally avoidable by letting it (the crisis) die down a bit. Thoughts?

Cheers and RDWHAHB!

Leave early, right before it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by piranha2 View Post
    Leave early, right before it happens.
    Right before, eh? Thank you for the insightful opinion

My advice and judging by my post count doesnt hold as much water as others here, would be to get your girlfriend on board before you go any further. If she already thinks your nuts for storing food and owning a weapon, shes gonna think you cracked your pot when you say "Oh shoot, such and such just happened. Grab your B.O.B lets go!" Life is much easier when everyone is on the same page, or atleast reading the same book. This would also help her and keep her per paired if something did happen to you.

If you are in Arlington, it would be best to give everyone else ahead start turning I-95 into a parking lot. If the distance to your BOL isn't to great , you'd be best on foot.

Quote Originally Posted by koinz04 View Post
    Right before, eh? Thank you for the insightful opinion
    That's a great way to make friends here pal. You asked a question, he gave you a short answer. Expect a wide range of answers from the short to massive multi paragraph answers. I'd chill out on the Assholiness at first, and be courteous to your neighbors.

To answer your original question... if you have time and enough forsight to leave then I would leave. A major city has very few arteries to leave from and mass exodus is going to be a nightmare trust me I went thru Rita and Ike right after. You should have plan A B and C in place. A being Bug out, B being Bug in until it's safe to Bug out and C BUG in indef. After that I would have Plans D thru Z just in case. Have you traveled any small back roads to said property? Sometimes the way forward is going in reverse if you catch my meaning. Remember Disasters happen at a moments notice, it doesn't have to be terror related, could be floods, hurricanes, blizzards (I'm sure you're well versed in by now)
    Get your gear straight. Check out Get home bags(GHB), Bug out bags(BOB), Every day carries (EDC) etc, get your GF on board, get a plan, implement the plan, and practice it regularly.

The problem I see with staying put is the area in which you reside to begin with.Arlington being in effect a suburb of Washington.
    Unless you are prepared to bug in (and an apartment is a poor tactical strong hold as are many houses) and hold your position , I can see no benefit to delaying a well preplanned evacuation. As I am certain many people know at this point the interstate system will no less than a large parking lot in a mass evacuation scenario so pre scouted back roads and county maps from point A to B are a requirement.
    Depending upon the scenario the longer the delay the better the odds of not reaching your planned BOL. If the scenario involves the federal government (with all others down to the city level being federalised) trying to control population movement (i.e keeping people in the cities and off the roadways) or Martial law then the longer the delay the more organised the government will get and the less chance you have of making your destination.
    While I am not saying bug out at the sound of every back fire or every time the dollar drops a point. I am saying keep aware of the situation and be ready to move at a moments notice.

Finally the girl friend issue , this can be tricky. Having had a liberal girlfriend before I can feel your pain. LOL.
    My point if she is not on board , get her on board.Period. You or anyone else for that matter can ill afford the luxury of time when it comes to going into action at a moments notice. And arguing over the merits of whether or not to go or stay when it is time to get your ass in gear will not bode well for survivals sake.
    Whatever works best for you , do it.Just get her on board or lighten your load.
    Last edited by militiaof1; 02-17-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Keep your powder dry.

Quote Originally Posted by brutalsun View Post
    That's a great way to make friends here pal. You asked a question, he gave you a short answer. Expect a wide range of answers from the short to massive multi paragraph answers. I'd chill out on the Assholiness at first, and be courteous to your neighbors.

To answer your original question... if you have time and enough forsight to leave then I would leave. A major city has very few arteries to leave from and mass exodus is going to be a nightmare trust me I went thru Rita and Ike right after. You should have plan A B and C in place. A being Bug out, B being Bug in until it's safe to Bug out and C BUG in indef. After that I would have Plans D thru Z just in case. Have you traveled any small back roads to said property? Sometimes the way forward is going in reverse if you catch my meaning. Remember Disasters happen at a moments notice, it doesn't have to be terror related, could be floods, hurricanes, blizzards (I'm sure you're well versed in by now)
    Get your gear straight. Check out Get home bags(GHB), Bug out bags(BOB), Every day carries (EDC) etc, get your GF on board, get a plan, implement the plan, and practice it regularly.
    I understand how my reply could turn people away from being my friend, but I'm looking for legitimate responses (like yours). On top of that I don't want to be "internet friends" with anybody. If I wanted BS one line comments I'd be in a yahoo forum.

Anyways, thank you for this reply. After reading it I realize I've been developing a one track plan for an unforeseen set of events. Thinking about it I feel kind of like an ass. After all my training I've been focused on getting from A to B without researching other options. Thank you again.

[QUOTE=brutalsun;321442]That's a great way to make friends here pal. You asked a question, he gave you a short answer. Expect a wide range of answers from the short to massive multi paragraph answers. I'd chill out on the Assholiness at first, and be courteous to your neighbors.[QUOTE]

+1
    did not see the reply to the post when I started mine or I would have said the same.
    Not a good way to win friends and influence people around here.
    Keep your powder dry.

Deleted due to last comment from OP.

If you can't be bothered to accept legitimate criticism why would you expect anyone to provide you with anything?
    Last edited by neutrino; 02-17-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Deleted due to last comment from OP.