Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and survival...

Quote Originally Posted by scott2218 View Post
    I was diagnosed in Dec last year. Make sure she takes the Metformin it hasn't bothered me but, it can cause Diarrea, stomach pains, nausea. I picked up the Diabetes for Dummies and try to read Diabetic Living Magazine. Things you have to stock up on besides the insulin is Needles and Strips for your Glucose meter. They DO expire. Wal mart has a pretty good (cheap) meter for $9 and the strips are 100@ $38 I use it as a Back up in my BOB and around the house. Pick up some Glucose Tabs (they come in bottles and tubes) Keep them in the BOB, car, your pocket/purse, etc. I would also get either the glucose Gel or the Liquid shots for emergencys. Wal mart has the cheapest needles 100 @ $13. If you doc gives out "samples" of needles or whatever get them. This stuff gets expensive. I personally don't have insurance so I either have to buy it myself or I get it from these folks Volunteers in Medicine It is an option for those that have NO insurance. Check with your doctor /diatician and set a Carbohydrate limit for meals and stick to it. Mine is set at 60 carbs per meal. I can go up to 75 carbs if I need to. Its a huge diet change. I have been adjusting out preps accordingly.
    Its been two years since i posted the above info. We adjusted our preps to eliminate a large majority of the pasta and rice. we switched out diet to a whole foods, Asian style meal plan. Lots of stir frys, sushi, and things. Prep wise we discovered that "Sushi Rice" is lower in carbs than most regular rice. Also, the St Louis area has a large amount of Asian grocery stores. We buy rice in bulk now, along with other stuff. Diabetes wise, I still use Vol in Meds. I have managed to put back about a 1yrs worth of Insulin and 4 mos of Metformin. strips I have 3 mos and Target sells the brand that the Doc gives me. A little cheaper than Wal mart by about a Dollar. Needles are cheapest at Costco by $2 (over Sams) I still get samples and do stick them back. My personal #'s have been good. All i need to do now is work on weight loss. I am down 3 sizes

Continuing what I said yesterday. For emergency Insulin storage my short term plan is to bury it. I have the hole already dug. Insert a cooler and its ready. (currently i use the "hole" with a tub inside it to store Gas cans for my Scooter and car. Its underneath all my Gardening things. We live in an Apt. but the landlord could care less about everything. To ramp up your preps and supplies try asking your Doc or medical Professional for any samples. Most Dr.'s do not advocate using your needles multiple times. Because I use a "Free clinic" they have alluded to doing it. use your own judgement. My wife hates it when I do it but I have. Lancets are the same way. My own Father reuses his for about a week. Once again follow your Dr's advice on this.

Type 2 diabetics have it better than type 1's. Full on insulin dependent diabetics, like my wife, in a true SHTF event, where medical supplies are disrupted, lack of electricity etc, will last only as long as their insulin supplies. My wife was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic when she was 14, her father when he was 4. My father in-law recently had a kidney transplant, and the transplant doctors are pushing for him to have a pancreas transplant as well. My wife was also told she should get a pancreas transplant, according to the Dr., they throw a lot of those out. She just finished testing. I think I would her take her chances with out anti rejection medications, than with out insulin, though neither option is great by any means.

Sorry for rambling, I hate what the future could possibly hold, not just for diabetics, but anyone on any type of 'You have to take this or Die' life long medications, or conditions.

resurrecting this golden oldie for a new chip addition >>>>> 8 years since it was first posted and 5 years since the last posting - new info and drugs on the market - time to update

https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com...ve-to-die.html

if you've never gone thru this SurvivalBoards "sticky" - lots of good info - 11 years of compiling - over 240 postings

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...ad.php?t=33479
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 07-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.

If you are a Type 2 diabetic and your wondering what to due???? This might shock some of you. Don't worry about the Meds. I say that due to the fact that your energy use with go way up.... The amount of exercise you will be getting will increase multiple times. This will more than likely "cure" your DM2. DM1 that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    If you are a Type 2 diabetic and your wondering what to due???? This might shock some of you. Don't worry about the Meds. I say that due to the fact that your energy use with go way up.... The amount of exercise you will be getting will increase multiple times. This will more than likely "cure" your DM2. DM1 that is another story.

good chance you'll see a serious SHTF coming long distance >>> having a good relationship with your insulin prescriber and getting an early and perhaps a larger than normal prescription - could save your life until something like you're talking about can kick in ....

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    good chance you'll see a serious SHTF coming long distance >>> having a good relationship with your insulin prescriber and getting an early and perhaps a larger than normal prescription - could save your life until something like you're talking about can kick in ....
    I hate to say it but most prescribes are not willing to due this. Mexico is a good place to get your meds. You just need to know your meds very well.. Knowing the chemical make up of things is some times necessary. I just happen to be friends with a few doctors who are close to retirement age, and they use to be surgeons. They can prescribe and have a script pad and are OK with many things. You might start looking to those types of practices for your needs..

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    I hate to say it but most prescribes are not willing to due this. Mexico is a good place to get your meds. You just need to know your meds very well.. Knowing the chemical make up of things is some times necessary. I just happen to be friends with a few doctors who are close to retirement age, and they use to be surgeons. They can prescribe and have a script pad and are OK with many things. You might start looking to those types of practices for your needs..

normal times and prescriptions of medications different than insulin - yes - but if you see the SHTF coming enough to be taking action >>> good chance a doc is just as aware >>>> what will stop many diabetics more than anything is $$$$$$ - your advance prescription action won't be thru insurance - and there's noooo way around that - and then there's a possibility of short supply in the pharmacy chain ...
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 07-29-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Another reason why I would recommend knowing your medication well. What medications that can be substituted for what. When something isn't available you really need to know what you can replace it with. There are a number of medications that do the same thing for the most part the same way. Example, ACLS Amiodirone first line drug in cardiac arrest. The drug it replaced was pushed aside. After the patent went out on Amiodirone guess what happened? Yep the American Heart Association said you can interchange this med or the one it replaced depending on situation.

Many care givers preferred the drug before Amiodirone. Amiodiarone has a 40 day half life. That means if you get the 300mg dose, it takes 40 days for you to get down to 150mg of the drug in your system. Lidocaine the drug that Amiodirone replaced in the drug line up half life counted in hours.....

Amiodirone $$$$$ on cost.
    Lidocaine $

Knowing what is wrong and medications that can be used for treatment is a good thing when one thing is hard to find the other might not be....

Yes, I know some Doctors who are very "woke". The problems I see with that is at some point everyone gets oversight. Doctors get Narcotics Enforcement called on them and they get investigated for writing to many "pain med scrips".. I happen to know the head Doctor over Muskogee Creek Nation Tribal Health care system. He knows that one of his Doctors writes 60% of the narcotic scrips in his healthcare system.....

Just pointing out, if you can see the fan flinging the **** coming so can others. People will be watching to see who is doing what....Yes the money is also the problem.