Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and survival...

I am a type 2 diabetic since 2008 and also have HBP and high cholestorol. I am on Metformin and my numbers have been between 85 and 130. I have been also taking cinnimon 2 x day. I have been trying to put away extra meds in case SHTF. The problem is getting an extra month or 2 due to insurance. I have been lucky to get samples of some of the medications I am on so i have been able to put a month or so of those away.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
    Can insulin be frozen? Or can expired insulin be used?

Insulin cannot be frozen it is a living hormone it dies if it gets to hot or cold. You can use it after it expires but you will need to use more of it as it becomes weaker. the older versions like humulin R or Toronto last the longest. Any long acting insulin is just too unstable after about 4 years. To keep it cool you could keep it in a root cellar or under water in a spring fed creek. There are also little fridge’s that run on solar for RVs. Some insulin like Levimir is very expensive but if you don't have medical insurance the company will pay for it. Just ask your dr about the program. maybe you could buy extra from different pharmacys? I don't know, but the more you have the longer you or your loved one can live.

Wal Mart has a glucometer for $20 that comes with 50 strips. They usually don't expire for 2 years. I use this one every day on myself and some patients, (I am a Paramedic) Easy to stock up on them.

i was 876.

they said i was a dead man walking.

i control it mostly with diet and staying halfway active.

i do, from time to time, have to hit the needle.

there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it jumps and how high it goes.

Cinnamon is great! There is also a more concentrated natural offering: Cinergen. Takes levels down pretty quickly.

I have Type 2, but also have Syndrome X insulin resistance.
    When a Southern girl says, "Aw, hell no!" -- RUN.

You might want to read up on the benefits of talking vitamin D3. I was doing my clinical rotation with a Pediatric Edocreanologist, and he was a borderline diabetic. I asked how he was controling his (for my father). The man said "I take 800 micrograms of vitamin D3 a day". I got my dad started on this treatment, and he has got far better control over his diabeties. Please remember most of the vitamins in the states are I.U. or international units. 1000 I.U. is equal to 25 micrograms. You can by 5000 I.U. D3 at wallys for like $2.00. I wish you well sir.

i am type 2 diabetic. I take Metformin 2x a day. and Glipizide 1x a day. i also take Lisinopril 1x a day for my kidney. Was born with only 1 kidney so i gotta protect it. I am 6-4 and 295 pounds. I work 10 hrs a day in a steel fabrication plant. I get some exercise there but i KNOW i need to drop 50 pounds. Hard to want to go exercise after a 10 hr day at work though...

We give our son D3 for adhd, I will start with it as well and report back to the board!
    When a Southern girl says, "Aw, hell no!" -- RUN.

Side note about syringes. They get dull fairly quickly. Not sure the number of times you can reuse but it is in the single digits. After a couple shots they get really painful and difficult to stick in. Food for thought.

I watched a documentary a couple of months ago where this group of diabetics went on a raw vegetable diet for 30 days. Anyway, all of them improved their health and medical condition. It was pretty amazing really. My point... A shtf scenario could be a blessing for some... simple sugars and easy carbs not existent an'all.

Here is a link for those that are interested:
    http://www.rawfor30days.com/index5.html

btw you can find this on the web to watch