Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Diabetes and survival...

OK, I don't know the difference between Type 1 and 2. My DIL has a pump that she maxes out when she drinks. Worries me but her mother even pushes binge drinking when they get together. These are not alcoholics, and are educated folks. They just suck with this problem. I fear for her wellbeing, but there is absolutely ZERO that I can do. I had hoped that her career change from business degree to RN might make a difference, but now she can say she knows much more about it and drinks on.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields

Kingchip, I don't know what to tell you Sir.

I was doing a rotation in a hospital. Lady DM2 and just had her leg amputated. She was using her good leg in the wheel chair to move herself over to the candy machine. I tried to talk her into letting me get her something from the cafeteria if she was hungry. She said "NO" they don't have what I eat at home. I politely as you can explained to the lady that after the first leg is amputated the next one goes in 18 months and they are on dialysis and dead in a 90% in 5 years. The woman said "I know, I watched what happened to my dad"..... The next time I saw her both legs were gone and she was going into dialysis...

You can only help those who want help. Until they do there is nothing you can do until then.

Mountains & Lakes of the extreme NorthEast

Simply put:

Type 1 means you need insulin shots to maintain your sugar balance. A pump delivers insulin shots

Type 2 is controlled with diet and exercise and/or treated with Metformin
    =
    Make America under God Again
    =

Quote Originally Posted by Winni View Post
    Simply put:

Type 1 means you need insulin shots to maintain your sugar balance. A pump delivers insulin shots

Type 2 is controlled with diet and exercise and/or treated with Metformin
    Metformin is a **** drug. I can assure you its one of the first they like to give. If you are on Metformin and say you need a Heart Cath guess what Metformin and the Radioactive dye they use for the cath with shut your kidneys down.

Yes Type 1 DM is Insulin dependent. The pancreas isn't producing the Insulin your body needs or its just dysfunctional. Why there seems to be many reasons that it happens a bad Virus is typically blamed in many cases.
    Insulin is important in getting glucose into the cells. Insulin is the transporter so the glucose can make it to the mitochondria where the Krebs cycle takes place.
    If you have ever noticed when people take insulin many get fat. Well this is the reason, most or type 2 diabetics and the quickest way to get they're sugar under control is insulin.

Fructose from fruit doesn't need insulin to to get into the cell. Fructose can go straight into the cell and has no active transport necessary.
    1) cause of fat kids and adults in America today. People look and it says no sugar added. The companies put huge amounts of Fructose into things and your body doesn't need insulin to get it into the cell.

Best thing to due is to do a life style change. Eating habits and exercise, will get you leaner and get you off the meds and healthier.

Quote Originally Posted by finris View Post
    Metformin is a **** drug. I can assure you its one of the first they like to give. If you are on Metformin and say you need a Heart Cath guess what Metformin and the Radioactive dye they use for the cath with shut your kidneys down.

Yes Type 1 DM is Insulin dependent. The pancreas isn't producing the Insulin your body needs or its just dysfunctional. Why there seems to be many reasons that it happens a bad Virus is typically blamed in many cases.
    Insulin is important in getting glucose into the cells. Insulin is the transporter so the glucose can make it to the mitochondria where the Krebs cycle takes place.
    If you have ever noticed when people take insulin many get fat. Well this is the reason, most or type 2 diabetics and the quickest way to get they're sugar under control is insulin.

Fructose from fruit doesn't need insulin to to get into the cell. Fructose can go straight into the cell and has no active transport necessary.
    1) cause of fat kids and adults in America today. People look and it says no sugar added. The companies put huge amounts of Fructose into things and your body doesn't need insulin to get it into the cell.

Best thing to due is to do a life style change. Eating habits and exercise, will get you leaner and get you off the meds and healthier.
    Yea, that's another kicker. She's in amazing shape, was a D-1 athlete playing softball in college. She has been under nutritionist, training experts, Dr's, and again is an RN now. I just hate to see it, we will lose her too soon, and it will put my son through hell and who knows where potential children might be. If SHTF we are really screwed.
    Once on safari in deepest darkest Afganistan we ran out of Gin, and were compelled to survive on food and water for several days.

I typically carry a flask of vodka for snakebites. I also carry a small snake.- W. C. Fields