Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and survival...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZH0...layer_embedded
    Here is a simple "flower pot refrigerator" that might make a big difference keeping insulin cool without electricity.

ok folks, wifey pooh got handed down the diagnosis Friday after noon. Type 2 is she
    Obviously we have a ton of questions and have not yet gone to the dietician yet.
    So let me rattle out some questions here if I may.

Any of you folks have a favorite book or cook book/ literature that you bought ( we want something other then online)

The doctor says Diovan HTC also protects the kidney. she is taking it for high BP. anyone ever have any problems or experience with it?

What about metformin. any side effects or oddities you have ever experienced w/ it?

white rice. If I am undrstanding correctly its a no no. Does this sound correct.

We bought some cookbooks yesterday and one has "diabetic exchange" on the bottom then lists like example " diabetic exchange 1 starch.
    I am guessing that you can use this to regulate the numbers and help give you a variety of meals kind of thing. Is there a book or something online that you use to understand this or should I just wait until we see the dietician?

Thanks in advance
    -J

I was diagnosed in Dec last year. Make sure she takes the Metformin it hasn't bothered me but, it can cause Diarrea, stomach pains, nausea. I picked up the Diabetes for Dummies and try to read Diabetic Living Magazine. Things you have to stock up on besides the insulin is Needles and Strips for your Glucose meter. They DO expire. Wal mart has a pretty good (cheap) meter for $9 and the strips are 100@ $38 I use it as a Back up in my BOB and around the house. Pick up some Glucose Tabs (they come in bottles and tubes) Keep them in the BOB, car, your pocket/purse, etc. I would also get either the glucose Gel or the Liquid shots for emergencys. Wal mart has the cheapest needles 100 @ $13. If you doc gives out "samples" of needles or whatever get them. This stuff gets expensive. I personally don't have insurance so I either have to buy it myself or I get it from these folks Volunteers in Medicine It is an option for those that have NO insurance. Check with your doctor /diatician and set a Carbohydrate limit for meals and stick to it. Mine is set at 60 carbs per meal. I can go up to 75 carbs if I need to. Its a huge diet change. I have been adjusting out preps accordingly.

As far as prepping goes: You can get extra metformin from Canada on line. Cinnamon works somewhat for diabetics. Get an extra glucose meter and lots of extra strips. Also, look back through the forum, I think there are some pretty good threads.

Well i can eat white rice Just not every day. Its a give and take diet lifestyle. You just gotta adapt to it. No more eating cake and icecream, 2 candy bars and a 2 liter of pop every day. You get used to the sugar free stuff. And you learn to cook fresher. But overall it aint too bad, and it is much healthier.

Metformin is great, i got NO problems woith it. And for kidney protection i am on lisinopril.

I found that Cinnimon tends to make my sugars go down quite a bit. Garlic is good as it makes the metformin work better. I have found that the old method of testing for glucose levels, the older Ketone test strips still exist. Walgreens carrys them at around $12 - I HAVE NOT tried this, yet... It may be an option Post SHTF. Maybe. The foods I miss the most are Pizza, Jellybeans, and Milk Shakes. The sugar free isn't as good and it still has CARBS

I spent the first week of April in the hospital, with serious breathing problems.Had chest pains too. They finally determined I did not have a serious enough heart condition to need a heart cath, but did have some A-fib and high BP.
    Main problem was blood clots in the legs traveled to the lungs, and that caused my condition - got very winded just walking to the bathroom! An added 'bonus'... I am brderline Type Two diabetic!
    There is a mass of info online, andI have been reading a lot of it. I was 415 pounds going into the hospital, and am now down to 380. Being a computer programmer and not exercising was killing me....
    The "Diabetic Diet" is really just eating right - cutting out the 'bad' stuff and substituting the 'good'. Replaced white rice with brown, replaced white potatoes with sweet potatoes, cut out processed sugar and wheat, using whole wheat and whole grain breads now. No more fried foods. No more caffein. What surprised me isI have no 'cravings' for the bad stuff, which I thought I would - makes the transition much easier! Also finding the good foods actually taste better!
    Did have some intestinal problems for awhile with the new dietary style - went too heavy on high fiber at first. So be careful with the new diet at first!
    Now the fly in my ointment is the meds...... Metformin for the Diabetes (twice daily) and Cartia XT twice daily forBP control and A-fib. The kicker is the third one - the bloodthinner Warfarin/Coumadin. Must be careful about foods having too much Vitamin K - basically dark leafy greens and cranberries are a no-no. Other foods I can eat in moderation. Need some vitamin K, but need to keep my intake as consistent as possible, so my INR levels test properly each week.
    Some foods okay for diabetics are not good for Warfarin, and vice versa. This has impacted my prepping in a big way! Brown rice doesn't store aslong, so I keep my store of white rice - in a major SHTF time, I'd rather eat it moderately than go hungry.
    As I keep reducing my weight and eating better, I hope to be able to go off one or more of the meds. Nice thing was my cholesterol levels are now looking very good! I had thought it would be worse. All my latest blood work cameback good except my Vitamin D level! So I am taking 2000 iu's daily as per doctor's orders.
    Lately I am feeling much better! Actually feeling about the best I have in several years. That as well as being more active and doing things I like, as well as the thought of more hospital time has me on the straight & narrow!
    Fortunately I am on my employer's medical plan, which saved me beaucoup money! Hospital bill was $32,000! I paid $278 out of pocket. The Cartia XT med retails for $88 a 30-day supply - I pay $7 each for all meds. If I was working with no medical plan, I'd be in hock to my eyeballs......
    "A bold spirit embiggens the smallest man!" - Jebediah Springfield

i'm not sure what to do about coumadin if shtf. i've read that fish oil (or cod liver oil maybe?) will may your blood less likely to stick together, but who knows if thats really the case.

Another thought, maybe a bit more radical for diabetics to consider. Most modern medicine treats diabetes as a condition that is something you just have to deal with and be treated for, not something that is curable. My sister had a similar thing, not diabetes but a thyroid issue, that all her doctors said was not treatable, all we could do was wait and pray according to them.

Anyway fast forward a few years, my mom became a research fanatic after that searching for any way other than practical modern medicine to deal with health issues, leading us down a hilarious trail of eating weird organic food and essential oils and herb and so on. Eventually her research led to my sister's thyroid being full speed again, and the same thing happened with my old girlfriend, better diet, raw and organic food and he condition reversed itself. Of course Doctor's won't tell you about this stuff, they are not schooled in depth in nutrition or in the value of pure and natural foods and medicines.

I don't know much about it, but i do believe that if you give your body what it needs free of toxins like all the preservatives and pesticides and all the garbage in our food, it will heal itself.

I don't know any of the info for it really, but seeing the effects in another health area, i would be willing to bet money that there is a way to send diabetes into remission( which is what they called it when my sister and gf got better, they won't say you cured it with nutrition, just that its not there anymore) using what I jokingly call "hippy medicine." If you really wanted to get hardcore about that would be the best way to prep, to not need medication.

Of course its not for everyone though, just my two cents.
    "Think for yourself, and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." -Voltaire

Default Try...Vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor11 View Post
    I am a type 2 diabetic since 2008 and also have HBP and high cholestorol. I am on Metformin and my numbers have been between 85 and 130. I have been also taking cinnimon 2 x day. I have been trying to put away extra meds in case SHTF. The problem is getting an extra month or 2 due to insurance. I have been lucky to get samples of some of the medications I am on so i have been able to put a month or so of those away.
    I am suprised you are on Metformin, your BS does not seem that high. I was diagnosed as a Type2 over 2 years ago with an A1C of 6.9..m BS was usually 150 to 180 and sometimes over 200..I was never put on Metformin. For the last 3 months I have been drinking 2oz of apple cider vinegar twice a day and my last A1C was down to 5.9...I also have high Blood Pressure/cholesterol/triglyceride and take meds for those...those numbers have also been coming down in the last few months...