Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: And what if the internet disappeared?

I guess I need to start backing up stuff

This is how the majority of people would react if the internet went down:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/166179

This is a GREAT Thread!

I use the interet for entertainment, information-gathering, and some personal finances. HOWEVER, I do not DEPEND on it exclusively. I still get a paper bill every month from my utilities, insurance companies, etc., and as someone else stated, all the really-good info I've found out there in my cybertravels, is either backed up or hard-copied.

I especially like the video of the kid freaking out, but I believe it was staged; If that was real, and that had been my kid, he wouldn't be able to sit down for a week.

DocZeus

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    This is how the majority of people would react if the internet went down:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/166179
    Its ECTOPLASM....I SWEAR!!!!

Here's a great short story I read several months ago about SHTF and the internet -

When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth

Great short story!
    "Do or do not; There is no try." Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    I've always wondered this. The internet (amoung other communications) plays a HUGE part in many of our live on a day to day, sometimes even an hourly basis.

I remember when the network at my old job went out. The mood was one of suicidal thoughts. People have committed suicide when their blackberries stopped working, and we now do much of our communication via this medium.

Now, would the net going out be considered a SHTF event? an inconvenience?
    I think what 7.62 was getting at with the OP are sort of the big-picture implications of having the net go away. I can easily see the goobermint taking away our toys for their purposes - they even laid the groundwork for that some months back by getting the major carriers to agree to give up control of their nets in times of "national emergencies", IIRC. I think any reasonable person would at least see that as a warning sign that the S was about to HTF. Also, losing the net could also be a symptom of a major SHTF, like an EMP attack. Probably wouldn't even be able to boot your machine, and the lights would likely be out anyway in that case.

But regardless of the cause, the net going away on a large scale for anything longer than a few minutes would be a HUGE deal. The net is not just WoW and Youtube and Tweety-pages. It's ATMs and EFTs and financial data and thousands of VOIP calls and cell phone traffic and EVERYTHING!! I forget the figure, but there's some specific amount of money that's in transit on the internet every second of the day, and it's huge. The packets that make up each financial transaction take a finite time to all arrive at their destination, so if the net goes poof in the middle of a transfer, millions or maybe billions of dollars just goes bye-bye.

Losing the internet is huge, not just an inconvenience.