Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deer Camp- Fiction

Default Deer Camp- Fiction

Hey all this is a story I just started. Let me know what you think. Ive never written before. If you like it Ill keep writing. Feel free to make suggestions and to criticize. Please let me know what you think. Its showing the indents when I go to edit it but not when its posted. Im copying it to here from open office. Sorry.

Chapter 1: The Attack
    It was 0730 on the 12th of November and Eric Begziak was finishing up his 24 hour shift on the ambulance. Eric and his partner Lauren had been running all shift and were eager to get back from to the station. They were due off at 0800. They had two weeks vacation for gun season and they were leaving that afternoon for deer camp. Eric was riding right seat and it was a quiet ride home. He slowly drifted off to sleep on the ride home from the hospital.
    Eric was a 23 year old Paramedic/Firefighter. He was tall and of medium build and was your typical public servant working too many hours for too little pay. He was a excellent medic and was a very respected crew leader. Cool under pressure and able to improvise and adapt when need be. Eric worked at a rural ems agency about 60 miles north of Detroit and was a volunteer firefighter. Eric had an amazing girlfriend named Megan, he had a strong family, and he was a prepper.
    Lauren shook Eric awake in a panic. Eric was slowly regaining consciousness as Lauren started speaking very rapidly. This was typical for her when she was excited. “Theres been a major terrorist attack in the D. Preliminary reports on the radio are stating its thought to be a dirty bomb. It sounds like there were multiple attacks in other large cities too.”
    Eric was fully awake now and on high alert. “Lauren were only five minutes to the station. Step on it and lets get off this shift before we get dragged into the fray.”
    Winds were blowing to the south east so all the fallout should be blown towards Canada. Both truck radios were alive with the sounds of agencies being toned out to aid the city. Eric's brain was in overdrive and he was thinking about all the things he needed to be doing to get ready for what was to come next. After all times were tough. The US had joined Israel in a war against Iran. Israel hit Iran's nuke sites with conventional weapons. China joined Iran and invaded Taiwan. The US and a few NATO nations were fighting them trying to take back Taiwan. Luckily the war had stayed non nuclear so far.
    Also there had been many terrorist attacks on the homeland. Most were small suicide attacks on government buildings, power plants, and large civilian gatherings. There were also increased mass shootings. No large incidents had happened in Michigan yet. Hell Detroit was already ground zero due to rioting, economic down turn, and large fires caused by power outages at water plants.
    As Lauren and Eric were pulling into the station they heard a depressing radio report. The reporter was somber “Washington DC, Los Angeles, New York, and Detroit have been hit with dirty bombs. Casualties are immense and responders are overwhelmed. Al Qaeda has claimed responsibility and are promising more attacks. This is a critical point in US history. Good luck and God bless.” Then the radio cut out.
    As they were getting out of the rig Eric grabbed his small bail out bag. It contained some food, water, and other miscellaneous survival supplies. Among the survival gear there was a few magazines and books for entertainment to pass the long hours in the truck. As they walked into the crew room the news was on and reports were flying in. Eric's boss Jack, walked in and asked Eric and Lauren if they would stay and go down to help with the rescue effort.
    “Sorry boss as much as we would like to we have our annual hunting trip to go on. We all live and breathe for hunting and were not missing it.” replied Eric.
    “I understand and figured that would be your answer. I just had to offer it because they are going to need all the help they can get. So go enjoy your time off because we may not have much of that if things keep circling the drain” said Jack.
    Eric and Lauren gathered their things quickly and bolted for the door. The two had been partners for about two years. They had worked nearly every shift together in that time. After spending 72 hours a week together they practically became family. Lauren was 21 years old and a very attractive sandy blond with shoulder length hair. She kept in shape and she filled out her uniform well. She was also a paramedic and a very competent one at that. The two worked excellent together and rarely needed back up. Lauren was dating Eric's best friend Jake. Jake and Lauren lived with Eric and Megan at their country home. Jake was fresh out of the army rangers and he too was a prepper.
    Lauren and Megan knew the boys prepped but they did not care much for the idea. The girls did shoot, hunt, and they both had their CPLs. They each had a bob and could use them but they were not as extensive as Jake and Eric's. All four went up to the deer camp hunting two weeks each year.
    On the way out the door Lauren asked “This is what you and Jake prepare for isnt it, and Eric why are we in such a hurry?”
    “Yeah Lauren it is. We are hurrying because I have a real bad feeling about whats going on. I really think things are going to get worse.”
    “Aw **** Eric I hate the gut of yours its usually right. Lets saddle up and get the hell out of dodge.” She said as they climbed into Eric's Truck.
    The truck was a 77 Dodge 4x4. The truck was OD Green, lifted with a cap, winch, air compressor, and large push bumper. Eric had it fully emp proofed but was never able to afford a diesel conversion. He turned the key and the old 360 rumbled to life. All Eric could think was how he wished it was a diesel now. They stopped and filled up the over sized main tank at five dollars a gallon. He kept his spare full along with the two jerry cans in back. After they filled up they hit the road again to finish off the remainder of their 30 minute trip.
    They were listening to the radio reports when they were interrupted by Eric's phone ringing. He picked up the phone and it was Jake. “Hey bro did you hear what happened to Detroit?”
    “Yeah Lauren and I got outta there quick and are on our way home.”
    “Good to hear bro. I got a call from a buddy who is still in. He said to get away from big cities and that it looked like the military was mobilizing for something huge. Thats all he could tell me man. I...I don't know I think we need to pack up and move out cause ****s gonna hit the fan.”
    “I hear ya Jake I agree get Megan and start loading you Suburban and the trailer for a full bugout. We'll be there in twenty.”
    “Alright man just keep my girl safe till you get here, bye.”
    “You do the same. See ya.” With that Eric hung up the phone and mashed the pedal while explaining the situation to Lauren.

Chapter 2: The Bugout
    As they pulled into the drive way Eric was glad to see that everything was moving along quite well. Eric swung the truck around and backed up next to Jakes SUV and the trailer that was hooked to it. The trailer was getting pretty full and so was the Suburban. Eric couldn't help think that all their equipment was average, they had no fancy shelters, guns, trucks, or radiation detectors. It was nothing like the stories he had read on his favorite site WhenSHTF.com. After all they were four kids trying to scrape together a decent life in trying times.
    As they got out Eric asked Jake, “What else do we need to do?”
    “Bro we got the ammo, food, and clothing loaded. Along with the spare fuel, tools, and vehicle parts.”
    “Excellent work you two you did great.” Eric replied.
    “All we need is our personal items and weapons.” Jake stated with a wink to Eric.
    Just then Eric heard Megan walking from around the back of the Suburban. He turned to look at her. She was a sight for sore eyes. They had been dating 5 years and she still stunned him every time he saw her. She was beautiful long brown hair down to her mid back, tall with sun kissed skin. She weighed 115 lbs soaking wet and was blessed in every way. She had on her tight jeans, black tank top, and her button up blouse over it. As if to further tease Eric she was wearing her cowboy boots and open carrying her Walther PPK, a style he loved on her. Megan was almost done with her physical therapy training and only had a two years to go. She was an avid hunter, off roader, and outdoors woman. Eric was a truly blessed man.
    “Hey baby all we need is our guns and a few of the personal items from our room. The rest of our stuff is ready to be loaded into the back of your truck.” She said as she walked over and gave him a kiss.
    “Thanks so much hun for doing all of this.” He replied on the way to their room for the rest of their stuff. They got to the room and grabbed his large brief case full of gold, silver, pictures, and important documents.
    “Megan I'm gonna go and grab the guns and the rest of the ammo out of the safe. Could you take this stuff and I'll bring the guns out?”
    “Of course I can I'll meet you out there.” Eric changed and then he was off to the gun room.
    Eric opened the safe and when he was sure Megan was gone he went for what Jake was winking about, the diamond engagement ring he just got for Megan. It was hidden in the way back of the safe. He quickly put it into his bob that he kept by the safe.
    Eric then grabbed his BM59 and AR-15 and put them into the double rifle case. He followed those with a Remington 597 with scope and 870 with two barrels into another double case. Then he grabbed his 1917 Enfield in 30-06 and placed it in his drag bag. The Enfield was sporterized, accurized and topped with a Konus 4-12x50 scope. Megan had already grabbed her AR and 10-22 and placed them in the truck. He also picked up his bag full of magazines and spare parts for the rifles and pistols.
    Next Eric pulled out the Compact H&K USP .40 and strapped it to his side, along with the double mag holder. His Sigma .40 was in the truck and Megan already had her spare PPK. Just then Jake came into the room and Eric helped him load up his weapons. They were much the same as to help with interchangeability. It took them a few trips but they were able to get everything out to the trucks.
    “Anything else this is the last call?” Erick said as he locked up the house.
    “You know between the trucks and the caches at the bol I think well have enough supplies and we will do good up there for a while.” Jake said.
    “I sure hope so we could be up there a whole lot longer than two weeks if **** gets bad.” Replied Eric in a somber tone as they turned around to look over the small property and house. They trucks were loaded down along with the trailer. The trailer was hooked to the Suburban because it had a diesel. Jake's truck was heavy duty also with much the same amenities as Eric's truck. Both had CB radios.
    Eric hopped into his truck and Megan was already seated shotgun. “My AR is loaded and behind the seat if we need it. Lauren and I already tested the radios and they are good to go. This will all work out fine and well be back in two weeks.”
    “I hope so babe cause I don't feel ready if the **** really does hit the fan.” Eric said as he heard Jakes old diesel roar to life. The sound of the turbo spooling up was great. Eric fired up the old Dodge and took point. As the small convoy headed down the road Eric turned on the radio to listen to the news. It turned out that Philly, Chicago, and Huston had also been hit with dirty bombs. There were also many smaller attacks through out the states. Casualties were predicted to be in the tens of thousands. Rescue attempts were slowed by secondary devices and comm failures. The war was still going on and was quite literally a stalemate on all fronts. Megan shut off the radio to stop the flow of depressing news. Eric focused on driving and was soon lost in thought. He was snapped out of his day dream by the ringing of his phone.
    “Hey Dad whats up?”
    “Not a whole lot Eric. I'm just calling to let you know that were on our way to the property to put as much distance between us and the city.”
    “Thats what were doing too Dad. Were on our way up also. Who all do you have with you?”
    “Your mother, brother, sister, and I. Oh and your sisters good for nothing boyfriend Carl.”
    “Good to hear that you're all heading up. But you could loose Carl and I would not be depressed at all.” Eric said. Carl was you typical left wing, anti gun liberal who thought the government should be involved in everything. Eric could not see what his sister saw in him or why she stayed with him. All he knew was he really didn't like that guy and was worried he was going to be a problem.
    “I'll see what I can do in regards to your request but I am not promising anything. I love you son and I'll see you up there.”
    “Love you too dad. Be careful and check your six.” Eric hung up and informed Megan of the news.
    “I really dont like that Carl guy. Cant we just tell him to go away and leave him somewhere?” replied Megan.
    “As much as I would like to I sense there is something more going on. Dad was holding something back from me on the phone.”
    Eric had always suspected his parents of prepping in some sort of capacity. They had a Y2K room full of ammo and food. This move further solidified his view on them. He knew they were hard workers and would help support the group. Although he could not shake the feeling that Carl was going to be a major PITA. Jake then began thinking about the property.
    Eric's Grand parents bought the property in the 1960's as a place to retreat to if the riots in Detroit spread north to Warren. The property was 80 miles north of Eric's house. The property was 100 acres in the tip of the thumb. His grandparents built a house and moved up there the year prior. The land was a good balance of hard woods and fields. It was bordered on the north and west sides by massive hills with undergrowth so thick a rabbit could barley make it through. The south side has a unimproved road along the entire length of the property lined with a large berm and razor wire placed by the previous owner. The east side had a large ditch twelve feet deep and twenty feet across running up to the hill. The property surrounding deer camp is mostly farm fields with some heavy woods.
    The property its self is home to three ponds and a creek, two electric wells, and two hand pump wells. His grandparents lived on the property in an medium sized all brick house complete with large propane tank and solar panels. Eric and Jake put a mobile home on the property with propane, wood burner, and solar power. The woods were chock full of deer, turkey, and rabbits. The ponds were well stocked with game fish. The soil was supple and ready for planting.
    The convoy was half way to the property when a bright flash in the rearview mirror illuminated the sky in the direction of Detroit. This brought everyone out of their day dreams and they pulled over to take a look. “Sumbitch looks like Detroit has been wiped out.” Was all Eric could say.
    Last edited by apssbc; 11-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.

I think it has started off great. I can't wait to read more. That sure is a scary situation though.

I like it as well keep going man dont stop now you got something good and it flows. I like it.

Let me ask how many words are you at right now?

Keep up the great work and cant wait to read more.

Thanks alot. The program says 2800 words. There is a lot going through my head. I'm thinking this may be lengthy if I get good reviews

MORE!!! Please.

I will add some more tomorrow as long as we arent too busy on the ambulance.

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Thanks alot. The program says 2800 words. There is a lot going through my head. I'm thinking this may be lengthy if I get good reviews
    Thats a good start everything that goes through your head put it on paper (computer) and keep writing.

Thats how I did with my story and it is what is. Also if your backing up the files save it to more then one computer and memory stick.

I had a computer fail and lost it all I was lucky I had it on my laptop and three memory sticks.

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE

looks great keep up the good work

Dude, we need more!

great start, keep it coming!