Thread: Ehancing an AM radio antenna

Default Ehancing an AM radio antenna

Anybody have an idea how to make an AM radio antenna (one of the crappy little telescoping built in antennas) pick up signal better? I have an AM radio that can "float" tuning by itself without me adjusting the knob, example: if I am tuned to 570, the tuner will at times, mostly at night tune itself all the way up to 596 am. Even with the self adjusting feature AM radio sucks at night in the 500's. I don't want to crack open the radio, anyone had any luck with making the crappy antenna less crappy?
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Do a google for a company called the C. Crane Company. They used to sell an antenna I think it was called the selec-tenna or something to that effect, you just put it near the radio and tune it for best reception, no actual phisical hook up on one model, and another has a wire clip to clip to the antenna or plug in. It got great reviews for what it was. They also make an awesome AM radio called the CC Radio, its like the AM dx'ers dream radio.

Seth

I have the same problem with my AM radios , during the day reception for local stations is great but at night it goes down the crapper yet I can listen to a station half way across the country with crystal clarity.I was once told that(here in Georgia) this due to the fact that at night the local radio stations have to cut back on their power output due to some FCC regulation.

On the antenna issue have you ever noticed that when you touch the telescoping antenna that your reception clears up. I read an article once (and am trying to locate it)that an earth grounded antenna would greatly improve the radios reception.
    Has anyone heard of this as well?
    Keep your powder dry.

You can make a am/fm RF preamplifier.
    A DIY Version, if you are into that.
    http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/rf/mwpre.html
    Or in kit form
    http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...tion&key=K2622

Basicly, splice a powered amp into the antenna. It's a brute force way of doing it. And if you ever needed to, it could be used to amplify a transmitter...if the FCC ever ran out of cash, god forbid.

Try taking speaker wire and making large loops from it attached to the antenna connection point. or wrapped around the telescopic antenna. Wrap one end of the wire connection around the telescope, make several loops with the wire, then wrap the end of it again back to the wire and see if it works.

well, actually, am is amplitude modulated, that means that the louder the signal into the microphone, the louder the signal into your radio. am tends to "drift" due to propagation interference. I have had great success just running a copper wire wrapped a few turns round the built in antenna and running it even out a window and upon to the eve if you feel adventurous, otherwise, you can just thumbtack it upon a wall. for a recieving antenna, any old longwire as these are called will work just fine, however not for transmitting unless you have a match system to correct for impedence(such as in ham radio). also, the longer the wire, then the "broader" the bandwith, in other words, the drift won't be as noticible to you. hope this helps

I have a 10-12 foot piece of wire alligator clipped to the end of the antenna. I think it ended up costing about 10 cents to make.
    Paranoia is merely a heightened state of awareness.

Fortune favors the prepared mind. -- Louis Pasteur

I bought the powered C Crane AM amp antenna. its nice ferrite metal and is basically a small black plastic thing. place it next to your radio and voila.

The only problem is like you said, at night I get stations I DONT want. and it wound up amplifiying those signals, not the signal I wanted. I need to develop some lead barrer like a radar dish to get signals from the direction I want. But I don't think AM waves behave that way.