Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Master Medical Supply List

bandaids, scissors, triangle bandages, kling, 4x4's, cold pack, basic med (tylenol, tums, benedryl, lip balm). Tape, ace wrap, super glue, antiobiotics and ointment.

Two blood clotter all-in-one trauma bandages as a minimum kit. Everything else can either wait or you're dead anway without a much larger kit.

I'd add a couple of trauma pads, Asherman chest seal and self-applied tourniquet
    Last edited by Jerry D Young; 09-18-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Uh how about getting some training first. All the crap in the world won't do you any good without training on how to use it. Contact your local FD or Red Cross and find out about training. A good friend of mine is actually taking EMT courses at night while he works during the day. All this is like ammo but you gotta have the gun too, so consider the supplies ammo and the gun you, would you be able to use the stuff you have? If not why have it then?

I agree with JM to an extent. A lot of this stuff I think you can use without in depth training; however, just as with all of our other knowledge we try to acquire, learning FA is a great skill.

Our local Red Cross even offers "Wilderness First Aid" courses. Planning on attending ASAP.

Some of my recomendations are for equipment and supplies kept on hand for medical professional's use. There will be times when a situation develops that a pro is available, but without equipment. (Don't see many black bags any more, unless it's a computer case.) Having the tools and supplies they can use can be a life saver in some circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Glucometer
    dont forget about the test strips,lancets,alcohol wipes.
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security."

Good point on the training I just dont think about that much because I have it. There are also ditch medicine books that are pocket sized so they are nice to take with you.

I was a volunteer firefighter up until I got an office job. We have basic and advanced first aid training. I never pursued EMT certification, but wish I had.

APSSBC -- What's "kling?" Do you mean clear plastic cling wrap? How is it used in a first-aid situation?
    Do or die, there is no try

Sorry vrb I should have clarified myself. When I say kling I mean the white stretchy wrap used to secure 4x4's and stuff in place. Its also self adherent.

I didnt mean the plastic stuff but...The plastic cling wrap can be used to seal chest wounds and wounds to the neck to keep air from entering.

Got it. So, basically it's medical tape (sticky white tape 1/2" across). Thanks for the clarification.
    Do or die, there is no try