Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 4 days of Hell

Default My 4 days of Hell

I don't know that anybody noticed my absence over the weekend, but I was down and out with what I first thought was the flu. It wasn't. I spent 6 hours at the ER on Sunday and learned that I "may" have some sort of bacterial infection from some water I filtered through my Katadyn Hiker and drank on Tuesday, but all they could find was a bladder infection.

I've been doing some reading to figure out how I could have gotten a bladder infection, since they're rare in men (especially under 50) and everything is leading back to Tuesday's water because I'm otherwise healthy and keep myself clean. What I'm finding is something everyone should think about: What's downriver?

Two weeks ago, and into the start of last week, we had a series of thunderstorms and heavy rains travel through our area. Several waves of storms actually, that kept me inside and away from the catfish I like to catch.

On Tuesday the weather was clear, and I took a teenage sister and her friend fishing. Since I had a new audience to gross out I pulled out my filter and pulled a quart from the river because I like to stir things up sometimes. No big deal right? I've done it before. The filter works, I cleaned it last time I used it. We're good to go.

Then, on Wednesday or Thursday, this article made the local paper. I didn't see it until Friday morning though:
    http://www.thetimesherald.com/apps/p...D=200990812004
    State officials are reporting an extensive fish kill in the Black River.

Department of Natural Resources spokeswoman Mary Detloff said Wednesday the die-off covers a 12-mile stretch of the river in Sanilac and St. Clair counties.

Spokesman Robert McCann of the Department of Environmental Quality says it appears all fish in the affected area were wiped out.

Biologists are trying to determine how many have died. Among the species are smallmouth and rock bass, catfish and northern pike as well as smaller fish.

The DEQ is investigating the cause. McCann says manure recently was discharged from a farm field into the river, but it’s uncertain whether there’s a connection.
    Current reports now say 15 miles with all aquatic life dead, fish... insects... all of it, and by this time I've had just about 72 hours for that to run amok in my digestive system. I woke up exhausted on Friday, and by time I got relieved from work that night it was all I could do to keep my car between the lines and stop when I had to. I was asleep as soon as I got home and pretty much slept through until Sunday, when I realized what I had wasn't the flu and I needed a doctor.

I'm alive, I'm (reasonably) well again, and I'm a bit smarter for this. The destruction of the river system here is extreme, but something that should be considered as system's fail under different shtf scenarios. Also, the time it took for this bacteria to affect me was days longer than what I expected, which is probably more of a testament to what the Hiker blocked than anything else. It was still several days of fever, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration though. Nothing I want to repeat nor anything I'd wish on anyone else. This type of story isn't as much fun to tell or read as a success, but hopefully someone can learn from it... even if it is only "don't be an dumbass like the rat"
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 08-19-2009 at 05:23 PM.

What a stroke of bad luck man. I am glad to hear you are feeling better though.
    I thought those Katadyn filters were supposed to filter out most of that stuff? Wonder why it did not work?

looks like the water treatment plant F'ed up.
    Happened to a stream that my club used to stock. They messed up and killed everything a week after we stocked the stream and the day before an event for children - kids were not happy

It is, and it usually does. Either the bacteria that killed everything is way smaller than average or it overwhelmed my filter somehow. I'm happy I'm feeling better today myself though, and I may even drink some Pepsi to celebrate. That was an additional headache (pun intended) to being sick, since I went through caffeine withdrawal.

As for the wwtp messing up, there's actually a sewerage lagoon at one of the small towns just north of where this supposedly originated. It used to overflow into the river regularly. That was supposed to have been corrected years ago, but who knows.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 08-19-2009 at 06:07 PM.

and the whole time you were sitting in the hospital you were thinking, "hmmmm, i wish i had some Obamacare"

lol, um.. no. The whole time I was in the hospital I was thinking "I feel terrible, where are the hot nurses to cheer me up." Luckily a cute EMT came in and passed my room.

I wish I knew who that DBag was. Me and dad used to love fishing on the black river. Good luck with your flu thingy.
    Jeff

bummer bro, hope you recover soon
    secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity

Many cases of "filter failure" can be traced to "user error". (Not saying it is in this case, but if you aren't careful about things, you can easily contaminate your clean water.)

My second thought is whether the fish kill was biological / bacterial, or chemical. Most filters will do NOTHING about most chemicals. A chemical that cleans out the bacteria you need can make you very sick, just like extra bacteria you don't need can.

In any case, get better! I am very glad you are recovering.

Just about fully good to go today! Its great. The wonder of modern medicine has retreived my ragged, nasty carcass from the threshold of death.