Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecticut anyone?

I live in the Hartford area and am very new to this forum...this being my second post. I used to party in Torrington back in the day and I lived one town south of you all.

Naugatuck here. Not prepped beyond a BOB/EDC.

Since there seems to be a good number of folks within 20 miles of each other why don't we set up a meet and greet someplace convenient to us all. We have people from Litchfield, Torrington, Naugatuck, and the Hartford area, so a central point would appear to be Thomaston. There's a Dunkin' Donuts off exit 39 off of Route 8. There's also a restaurant right off the same exit called Crabby Al's that I'm told has good food, but we could just have coffee there. Maybe on a weekend coming up. What do you think?

Not a bad idea. I'd be up for it right away if it weren't for the craziness of my schedule right now - daughter's and wife's birthday, vacation, and trying to get a local group started. Plus half a ton of grains to get bucketed and stowed - UGH!! First hole in my schedule looks to be the weekend of the 24th.

One suggestion - that Dunkin Donuts is pretty busy, and it might be hard to have a private conversation, if you know what I mean. Plus, it might be hard to keep the kiddies busy without stuffing them full o' donuts. Might I suggest Black Rock State Park? It's right around the corner, open space for the kids to run around, picnic tables, and more or less deserted this time of year. And dang pretty too. I think there's a pavilion, too, in case the weather is cruddy. But hopefully we'll have decent weather, and we'd be able to talk a little more freely. We could always hit the D&D for a warm-up and snack afterward.

Paranoid,

Did you ever get my PM? It probable came in under a different name as I could log in under this address.

I do second the idea of meeting somewhere either; very private or very big and busy where your converation gets lost in everything.
    Last edited by Arrack979; 10-10-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Black Rock is an excellent idea.

I believe that it is a good idea for individuals who want to meet each other one on one to go ahead and arrange something. It's my experience that trying to set a group meet is akin to herding cats, everyone has their own issues and schedules, which is normal of course. If we can meet each other when time allows it, then that is a step in the right direction that can lead to a group meet. I just had a cup of coffee and a nice chat with one of the NE forum people the other day and found it pleasurable to talk with a well informed and like-minded individual. Plus it is less intimidating to meet one or two people, rather then be immersed in a round table discussion with several people that you don't know. Let me know what you think.
    Casting pearls among the swine

Quote Originally Posted by teddy View Post
    I believe that it is a good idea for individuals who want to meet each other one on one to go ahead and arrange something. It's my experience that trying to set a group meet is akin to herding cats, everyone has their own issues and schedules, which is normal of course. If we can meet each other when time allows it, then that is a step in the right direction that can lead to a group meet. I just had a cup of coffee and a nice chat with one of the NE forum people the other day and found it pleasurable to talk with a well informed and like-minded individual. Plus it is less intimidating to meet one or two people, rather then be immersed in a round table discussion with several people that you don't know. Let me know what you think.
    I may be interested, pending a date. As of now, Im pretty busy the following few weekends.

It doesn't have to be a weekend. My schedule is very flexible, for instance, I could meet up any time of the week. We cannot get anything moving forward with out talking first. Get to know one another. If it works out that we are on the same page, then make a decision to go further and and do group things and possibly form a MAG. But even if that never happens, or that is not your intention, we can at least chit-chat and compare notes. I find it refreshing to talk to a person about prepping who is not looking at me like I have two heads (like my extended family, for instance).
    Casting pearls among the swine

Amity area check in, I would be interested in a meet & greet. Pending date and time.