Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Term Storage Rice Beans etc.

QUESTION: I stored some dry beans in various containers and they were subject to extreme temperature fluctuations in a remote storage location. They were not subject to moisture. Upon recovering the food, the beans do have a slight odor to them, although not objectionable; may be slightly toxic. If so, could those beans be sprouted/germinated for planting?
    Approach with a calm resolve, attack with reckless indifference. Gladius Republicae!
    "...use Gold like it's gunpowder..."

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks for that Skarecrow. Here's one on canning cheese. Never knew you could can cheese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQo29wCbS8M

canning cheese is HIGHLY disagreed to and discouraged by the canning experts >>>> NOOOOO way to do it safely ....

here's a recent article on cheese <<< and specifically mentions the safety regards >>>>

"Whatever you do, do not “can” cheese. It’s a method touted by some preppers as being safe and having been practiced by them or their grandmothers for years. It involved simply melting cheese in canning jars and then applying a lid and band. “They” state that the vacuum seal that forms is sufficient to be safe and prevent food poisoning. It’s not safe and not true."

https://prepschooldaily.blogspot.com...&max-results=1

QUESTION: I stored some dry beans in various containers and they were subject to extreme temperature fluctuations in a remote storage location. They were not subject to moisture. Upon recovering the food, the beans do have a slight odor to them, although not objectionable; may be slightly toxic. If so, could those beans be sprouted/germinated for planting?

good luck - doesn't sound good - definitely not the storage conditions you want for seeds ....

I'd soak them first and soften up that shell - might want to try this hydrogen peroxide trick >>>> https://www.whenshtf.com/threads/589...ighlight=seeds

If you can get them to germinate, great. If they smell, don't eat. I know pigs can pretty much eat anything, but I don't know what happens to the meat, if you feed them (possibly) tainted beans.

Short answer: "When in doubt, throw it out"

A note on storage. If you use Oxygen absorbing bags, or CO2, you will kill the bean and they won't germinate. So, store your seed stock separately.
    July 4, 1776 - November 4, 2020
    ———————RIP USA——————