Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Whats your Medical Gear?

I'm studying the medicinal plants that are around us and how to use them.

G u using the net or a ref book for id?

Might I make a suggestion for anyone looking to learn about medicinal plants and or identifying them.. I don't know what state you live in, how ever there are in many states through the parks and rec dept. people who offer their botany skills to take people on group tours of the local areas while educating them on the medicinal and or eatable plants of your area.. You can also check with local nurseries that sometimes have workshops on the same subject.. the best part is you aren't just looking at pictures.. You can see touch smell and sometimes taste these plants making personal observations on the difference, between similar looking plants. Take cell phone or camera take pics and a notebook to take notes.. Then you can do further research the plants through various resources like any college that teaches Botany classes with reference material and again through your state or county or regional farming or natural resource co-ops. Do Not take just anyone's word on the uses of, safety of plants. You have to be responsible and know that some plants like some medications will cause allergic reactions or what works for some, won't work for every one. Be Careful! Also know that the preparation of some herbal remedies is as important as the parts of the plants that are utilized.
    The only thing more dangerous than ignorance, is arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    G u using the net or a ref book for id?
    Yes, but I still have to be careful, plants are regionally specific and in Florida, many look alike and as with Murphy's Law, one is good and one is poisonous. I use the County extention office and locals, but it's an ingoing learning experience. Also, a use it or lose it skill. I may do a write up, I've found that herbs are used in basically 3 different ways: eaten directly( for sustenance and/or medicine), made into a tea or made into a poultice and applied directly on the skin (topically). Some can be used in all three ways.

For instance, we've heard folks say that cayene will stop bleeding, but it also treats a cold, shock, depression and chills( eaten), as a compress(topical) will treat sprains, rheumatic pains and bruising. Made into a tea( with honey) will treat sore throat.

Btw, you can grow alot of medicinal herbs:
    Aloe vera( topical) rub on skin for burns and bug bites, or drink for indigestion or laxative;
    Echinacia, a natural immune booster Drink to treat inflammation and cold symptoms or apply to skin(topical) for infections;
    Cayene( see above);
    Plantian, yes the 'banana like' is a great fruit, but the leaves can also be used topically to treat burns, wounds and even hemerrhoids( ointment), or a tea for sore throat or gun inflammation;
    Comfrey is an herb that can be made into an ointment and used to treats bones or sore muscles and is also a good organic composted fertilizer. etc....

The list goes on and on,,,,,Dandelion can be eaten and the root is medicinal.

Sorry, I know that this is a separate topic.....
    Last edited by GeneC; 10-10-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Ive been all over fl, born in tallahassee, stationed at eglin while in the army was cool. Lots of stuff there not from there.

Everglades r sweet, good fishn!

Havent tried dandy flower fritters yet, but salads r good.

Having one thing that can be used for several things is better than 2 of one thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alredneck View Post
    Ive been all over fl, born in tallahassee, stationed at eglin while in the army was cool. Lots of stuff there not from there.

Everglades r sweet, good fishn!

Havent tried dandy flower fritters yet, but salads r good.

Having one thing that can be used for several things is better than 2 of one thing.
    I's born and raised in Bradenton/Sarasota, live and worked all over Fl( Ky Tn, KCMO and LVNV)( stationed at YumaAZ, JPN and SoCal) and live in Pcola now( I hear the boming and Vulcan practice from eglin, almost every night- we can tell it's gouing to rain the next day, when they bomb that night before).,,,,we have a regular produce swarray here.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman6970 View Post
    You can't use a defib if they have a pacemaker/defib
    Yes you can. I've done it many times. The older pacemakers /AICDs used to be implanted in the right upper anterior chest, which could interfere somewhat with your Paddle / Pad placement. No big deal, just adjust your placement, or go Anterior / Posterior with your pads instead of Anterior / Anterior. Modern Pacemakers / AICDs, especially the nice Atrial Pacemakers and Dual Sequential models, are implanted in the left upper anterior chest, negating any issue with placement.
    We've become sheep, and I don't trust the Shepherds.