Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whats your Medical Gear?

Default pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman-22 View Post
    Does it burn when applied? I'd hate to do this to my kids if they suffered a serious cut.

Can anyone else verify this? I am not trying to offend Swampfox in any way, I'm just looking to corroborate this. I've never heard of it before.
    There is some minor burning at the edges of the skin especially if it is minor and near the 2nd layer of skin. I learned this from a former SF medic , SGM Charlie McCowan . The man knows his stuff .

Quote Originally Posted by capnspecial View Post
    That link says it's been removed.

I just found Dermabond on the Internet that I am going to add to my Med Kit. Its 18.00 for a single dose. Also found a nice Suture kit for 41.00. Warrning!!!!! Learn how to use them befor you use them.
    Last edited by Evolver; 06-07-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

About 2 years ago I started to inventory my first aid kit and made it to 9 single spaced pages of 1 box of 50, 5 boxes of 20, 5 bottles of 25 and so on. I gave up and said I will just keep adding to it as time goes on. The stack is now 3 feet x 2.5 feet x 4 feet so I guess I should inventory it in full some day. I am going to be reorganizing my preps soon as I am running out of storage space when I do I will lay it all out and snap a photo of it. I do know that I need to add retractors, O2 masks, 1 more O2 regulator, new hoses for my suction pump, catheters, OB kit, vascular clamps, bone saw, rib cutter and spreader, anesthesia, syringes and needles, back boards, splints, casting supplies, deliberator and tracheotomy kits. Other then what is listed I have at least 1 of.

I just sorted my kit so I snapped a photo wile I had every thing out.

The top is my aid station in a box. Not in the photo are my stretchers and my self contained medical field sink. The bottom one is every thing back in there boxes with my tow squad kits setting on top of the boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Teotwaiki; 06-15-2009 at 01:43 AM.

1st gen quickclot burns like heck when applied. It is not to be used other than in emergencies comcerning arterial bleeds and it will require surgical intervention to repair the arteries afterwards. Also since it will burn the wound and the area surrounding it, infection control will be a major concern along with increased pain levels.
    Also, it is fairly dangerous. Be sure to use gloves (not just thin latex for nitrile ones) as it will burn if it contacts skin. Also be careful of wind. The original quickclot is a powder and will permanently blind you and/or your patient if it is blown into the eyes.

Default Pelas tell me you're an MD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teotwaiki View Post
    About 2 years ago I started to inventory my first aid kit and made it to 9 single spaced pages of 1 box of 50, 5 boxes of 20, 5 bottles of 25 and so on. I gave up and said I will just keep adding to it as time goes on. The stack is now 3 feet x 2.5 feet x 4 feet so I guess I should inventory it in full some day. I am going to be reorganizing my preps soon as I am running out of storage space when I do I will lay it all out and snap a photo of it. I do know that I need to add retractors, O2 masks, 1 more O2 regulator, new hoses for my suction pump, catheters, OB kit, vascular clamps, bone saw, rib cutter and spreader, anesthesia, syringes and needles, back boards, splints, casting supplies, deliberator and tracheotomy kits. Other then what is listed I have at least 1 of.

I just sorted my kit so I snapped a photo wile I had every thing out.

The top is my aid station in a box. Not in the photo are my stretchers and my self contained medical field sink. The bottom one is every thing back in there boxes with my tow squad kits setting on top of the boxes.
    okay... o2, suction, defib, trach kits, retractors, anesthesia... i hope you're a doc, or at least a medic or ccrn or something

2 aid bags (one normal size bag stocked to cover a squad, one huge one to cover a platoon size element)
    2 general purpose extensive first aid kits
    4 minimal first aid kits
    1 huge plastic tub full of medical supplies for restocking kits.

My wife and I are both in the medical field so we have plenty of stuff laying around. Anything expired and about to be thrown out we hold onto if we think it's still decent (obviously no expired meds or anything dangerous like that)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    2 aid bags (one normal size bag stocked to cover a squad, one huge one to cover a platoon size element)
    2 general purpose extensive first aid kits
    4 minimal first aid kits
    1 huge plastic tub full of medical supplies for restocking kits.

My wife and I are both in the medical field so we have plenty of stuff laying around. Anything expired and about to be thrown out we hold onto if we think it's still decent (obviously no expired meds or anything dangerous like that)
    What do you suggest for your kits that we can buy?

Just an update on Quick Clot...last resort. Seriously I understand the want/need for medical equipment. If the need for it arrives it needs to be a serious fire fight. BUT always use it as a last resort; apply pressure, even a tourniquet before using quick clot. Especially the older brands as they can cause permanent nerve damage. Obviously the situations will vary I can only advise taking a comprehensive first aid course. Love the info on this site. keep it up, I am brand new to the site and am still getting use to this forum.

I'm a bit of a gear queer, I'll admit.

I have most of my gear crammed into a STOMP II med bag, and the rest in one of those roll out plastic tubs, which is almost full itself.Ugh meant to post and then edit in pics but looks like i ran out of time while typing it up.

I didn't want to blow up this thread with a bunch of pictures so I just posted three that give a basic understanding of my setup. Which is about to go through a major revamping as the organization it is pretty bad right now.

The front main compartment in the second pic is mostly filled with oh **** oh **** oh **** supplies.

Bottom mesh pouch has:
    *about 50 4x4's
    *several 5x9's
    *a couple of eye patches
    *6 rolls of 2" durapore.

Top mesh pouch has:
    *2 Izzy/ETD Abdominal Dressings.
    *2 Large Celox pouches
    *1 Celox-A injector
    *2 Asherman Chest Seals and 2 large sized tegaderms. Probably gonna replace the ACS in favor of all tegaderm. Tegaderm kicks ass for occlusive dressing, provide you have the capability to NCD.

Main elastic loop area has:
    *1 SOFT-T tourniquet- this is a major flaw that needs to be addressed soon I have 1 other tourniquet but its in my IFAK on my armor. Can never have too many tourniquets. I would like to have at least 6 of them in here. How ever i do have 6 cravats that could be used to improvise.
    *5 rolls of large kerlix
    *NPA's/OPA's of varying size
    *Magill Forceps
    *disposable light
    *some hemostats and scissors
    *sharpies
    *thermometer which is usually in my meds tackle box.
    *eyepro

Pockets underneath airway adjuncts contain:
    *6-8 Israeli Dressings of 4" and 6" variety.

Pockets Under Kerlix contain:
    *Nitrile and Latex Gloves
    *Surgical mask with eye shield
    *Rite in Rain field notebook with 9 lines and other stuff in it.

Zippered compartment under kerlix has:
    *6-8 rolls of elastic type roller gauze for bandaging. I think two of them are the self-adhering kind

Left most nylon pouch contains mostly sharps types stuff. Some syringes and catheters. My 14 gauge 3.25inchers for NCD are in there. There's some various suturing **** that is in there that will probably go away soon as I don't have any debriding stuff in there anymore. Also is a glucometer and sterile strips and a couple other things that are slipping my mind at hte moment.

Mesh pouch with cinch straps have 2 bags 500ml hespan and 1 bag 500ml NS and then theres a 1L bag of NS crammed into the space between the bottom of the bag. They are taped together in kits. Macrodrip admin sets, one 18ga cath, one 16ga cath, tegaderm, flush, saline lock, wipes, and gloves.

On opposite side the bottom pouch is more of a pocket that is meant to hold a removable red handle drug module, i threw that out and stuck a bvm in its spot. The outside of the pocket has a mesh see through pocket with various ace bandages.

Pocket above that is similar, i removed the blue handled module and stuck in a tackle box type plastic container with various OTC stuff like anti-diarrhea, benadryl, aspirin, etc. The outer mesh pocket has about 6 cravats and a couple of sam finger splints.

Crammed into the hydration carrier pockets I have 3 large sam splints and an adjustable cervical collar. I know i forgot stuff but that gives the gist of my setup

Also haphazardly tossed in is a BP Cuff back crammed with a single tube adult bp cuff and a Littman Master Classic II
    Last edited by colonelklink; 10-01-2009 at 03:41 PM.