Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: herbs!!

Wolf.. there is a great book called "Prescriptions For Natural Healing" by James Balch (md) it is by Avery press. if you go to a good heath food shop they should have one it is about $30 and its in it 10th edition now. IT IS WELL WORTH The money. I am going to college, and in my 6th year working on degree in psychology with a specialization on eclectic biochemistry (In laymen terms instead of using prescription drugs such as Zaban to quit smoking I help people with coenzeme q10 It helps to move oxygen to the brain) One of books that NEVER leaves my desk is this book. This book is essential to the modern day prepper as it will tell you what to take for medical condition as well as a description of whats going on and why certain herbs and vitamins work. I could also be of service in this area with recipes and advise. PLEASE note I am not a legal doctor yet so I can only advise not proscribe.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.

diamond you also have access to some great books that do contain herb medicine in it. It is called "The 21 lessons of Merlyn" by Douglas Monroe he also wrote a 2nd book called "The lost books of Merlin" He writes heavily about Druidic magic. But (and here is the kicker) the Druids where one of the first groups on earth to actual note and categorize herbs and foods for medicinal use. (for instance druids always carried around herbs in a wooden box made of willow bark) willow bark in the 1800's was studied and "pharmaclogized" and thus we had the invention of aspirin tablets. (humm, i think they where on to something there) in this book he tells what medicinal herbs most druids carried and why. But he also gives the English name as well as the old Druidic names of these herbs, as well as how to take them. I point this out to you, because you are so close to the British isles where the legend of King Arthur was formed. You also have modern day Druids practicing there today that would be of benefit to you if you seek there help.

Nice hawk ! My son is a falconer... Well re herbals, there are some really good ones.. ( I even have a tiny slim book that is a reprint of a 1530 treatise on the care & management of "Hawkes" ...they used a lot of herbs on their birds.)
    I think all we have left of the druids is what the romans left us in writing, and there's a lot of roman herbal advice to be found, they knew their stuff. I have a Culpeper as well.
    One thing that always fascinated me is that near me there is a ruined medieval hospital where monks tended the sick. When archeologists did a dig there, they found loads of wee pots with ointment and potions, and remains of a fern. Writings tell us that there was a potion made from ferns by these monks - that stopped people feeling hunger. So imagine an army on the march with nowhere or no time to stop and prepare food -- chewing on this stuff that kills hunger pangs...Imagine if you could re-discover it and market it now !! God I'd be a millionaire in a week ...
    Any way, I'm so OT, sorry. I tend to witter a bit

Its all right we all do from time to time. getting ready to loser power here in the Midwest states in US look at weather channel and go to SHTF breaking news post "Ice storm in Kansas / Missouri) would love to talk more but afraid i am going to lose power. but will keep you posted when i can. would love to talk more.

Daimond, If you can go to a farmers market (or its Scottish equivalent) many farmers there know herbs and can point you in the right direction. Also never under estimate elderly people because many of them during times of depressions and had to use with whatever was at hand. They are especially useful because many of them live where you do and can point out what herbs do what right in your own backyard. Also another good source is the local university (Check for certified Botanists/ Agriculturalist ) . If you are willing to donate some time and grade papers (as a "un-certified" professor assistant) many of them will l let you set in classes and give you free advise on the use of herbs. Also local heath food stores and farmers co-ops can be useful in this way. never let money stand between you and the heath of your family, just remember where there is a will there is a way.
    Maybe we should ask the sites owner if we could get a thread going for herbs use for emergency use and recipe /food use. I think Springfieldgirl started a thread about herb use earlier this month, so there is a definite interest in it. Many people are starting to realize that in a SHTF extended situation you are not go to be able to go down to the drug store and get your medications. Also as the cost of heath care rises (especially in the US) people are going to turn to alternatives to stay healthy.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-29-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Lol no I never underestimate elderly people -- I'm quite an elderly people meself I think as money gets tighter then more and more people will turn back to herbs, like growing your own veg. I will look for this thread on herbs in here... herbs are very powerful if used properly and I think their day will come back. But not sure I'd recommend somebody else to use herbs for serious life-threatening conditions . Myself, yes.
    My OH has has 3 heart attacks, we know the pills he takes every day arent working otherwise he wouldnt have gone on to have 2 more heart attacks LOL... but I havent the nerve to take him off them and on to herbs & diet instead. If it was me then I would, but I wouldnt like the responsibilty of him doing it.
    Maybe we should grow more of them along with veg & use them as preventative medicine, eat more of them regularly.
    Last edited by diamond lil; 03-30-2009 at 05:40 AM.