Thread: Advanced First Aid

Default Advanced First Aid

I don't know if this is a result from playing too much Far Cry 2 or not, but here goes.
    Does anyone here know about advanced first aid? I'm talking how to perform a tracheotomy, setting bones, pulling out bullets, etc. Hell maybe even emergency amputation and cauterization if the need arises.
    I have had interest in this since I was a Marine serving in Iraq, anyone who's been in my boat knows that Navy Corpsman (my respect to ALL Corpsman, past and present, if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be here) can be stretched a little thin during combat or they get injured themselves and they are about as useful as a tin can to stop a bullet.

Removing bullets, amputations and cauterizations are NOT first aid of any sort. these are classified surgical procedures, ESPECIALLY bullet removal, as more damage can be done than repaired. I would HIGHLY recommend contacting your local Red Cross and sign up for an Advanced First aid course and then take the rest from there. ( a trach is fairly easy to perform and was covered when I took my course years back, prior to EMT certification, which has since expired but I have none the less kept up on what has changed since then).

Maybe you shoud check into the Wilderness Medicine courses. Quite a few are a week long or even a month, but it's alot of the what if and mcgevor type scenerios.

in answer to your question yes.