Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Bartering with gold and silver coins

Personally I think the biggest crises where you would start trading would be an economic one, and in that case (in the US at least), civilized ways wouldnt hardly cease at all. Also, the advantage of coins over random trade supplies is they retain value. Other trading goods go bad, wear down, break, become outdated, get used up, etc.

Of course the #1 rule for investing is to diversify

i dont think having Bars or Bullion of Gold or silver is a good idea, that stuff can get you killed, meaning if someone sees you with a big gold bar... well, you get the point. MAYBE getting some 14k to 24k gold necklaces or bracelets or whatever, and if you are bartering with it say something like " I'll give you 4 links for _____" that way you can still barter but not give away your 'wealth'

In the end though, i dont think we will resort to a bartering society. I think what ever happens, whether civil uprising, apocalypse, floods, whatever... another foreign power ( china comes to mind) will use that as a way to intervene, and come out with some chinese based currency, for the American population.

ive got some brithish gold ingots and some golden south african coins which names escape me and a tube of silver american quarters i really need more i think it will be a great barter item alongside ammo and medicines

There will always be someone in a SHTF situation that wants gold and silver.

As soon as the word gets out about your method of payment the bad guys will be looking for you.

>>>>>I have gold and more come to my house.<<<<<< FLASHING NEON SIGN.

I keep both designated barter goods and some PMs.

For barter I like matches, lighters, female hygiene items (also make good bandages and wound dressings), borbon, condoms, cigars, TP, batteries, fire wood, meat.

I also have PMs for those who may not be inclined to barter, and for dowry

I have split my money evenly in the last year between, LTS foods, ammonishuns, firearm purchases (outfitting my children, my defense battery was complete years ago) and silver. I also added another two cows and a solar oven i the self sufficiency realm.

Your rant above makes me feel a lil thrown up on.
    Last edited by Halkahn; 02-13-2011 at 06:30 AM.
    "The most fundamental right, is the right to exist; to not be exterminated." - Sarah Connor

Quote Originally Posted by island-patriot View Post
    ive got some brithish gold ingots and some golden south african coins which names escape me and a tube of silver american quarters i really need more i think it will be a great barter item alongside ammo and medicines
    kruggerands.

Its not simple to bartering with gold and silver coins.It is not the best way to dispose gold coins in this way.If Krugerrands and Gold Eagle comes in various sizes then is bartering possible with these?
    __________________________________________________ ____________
    Looking for the coins click: Buy Krugerrands and Krugerrand gold coins

Quote Originally Posted by island-patriot View Post
    You will most likely want to keep the ammo and medicines for your own use. For the precious metals, you might want to consider getting rid of the brittish and south african coins. Nobody is going to recognize them if even you cannot, and so nobody will take them. Go with "junk silver" like your american quarters. You can buy them easily under spot right now and they will maintain their significance with the population.

Gold and silver are stores of value. You exchange depreciating dollars for appreciating assets.
    The current escalating values makes them poor choices for bartering. Although I have heard that in the '70's there were a few enterprising gas station owners that converted pumps to only accept pre-1965 quarters! (They would MORE than pay for a gallon of gas!)
    That being said, it is possible you could pick up some REAL bargains in exchange for gold and silver (assuming the other party had knowledge of the true value.) For example, someone wanting to leave quickly to move near relatives my be willing to sell their property or possessions a a huge discount for payment in gold eagles.
    I have heard that in post WWII Germany you could buy a HOUSE for 5 GRAMS of gold!
    I believe in the Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared!