Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering with gold and silver coins

I think that PM's have a place in preparedness planning; of course they are not going to be of much use in the event that an EMP comes along, social order collapses, LE/Military are no use in preventing violence, etc. However, the only time that I personally have been in a SHTF scenario is one in which hyper-inflation occurred. Did violence break out in the streets and people have to bug in? No. But what happened is that people couldn't buy the bread on the shelves b/c there were several days of "bank holidays" so that people were limited to cash on hand to buy groceries, water, etc. I feel that this is one of the more likely SHTF scenarios in our country, and so I keep some PM on hand for such an occassion. In fact, I just received a package today of silver Eagles that I ordered from apmex.com. They look good and I am taking them by my local dealer to have him look at them after work just to make sure they are legit. Can't be too careful.......

Just my two cents on PM. you can't eat them, wear them, burn them, or shoot them, but they do have their place in a preparedness plan.

You can buy fake gold coins on E-bay. I can tell they are fake by there weight. I bought a couple dozen different type fake gold coins to mess with my friends. No one figure it out until I told them. If I was a jerk scam artist I could of sold them. I wouldn't even trust a coin store.No one will take gold in trade if the SHTF. NO ONE WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE REALLY GETTING.

. I was thinking about getting out of the dollar and changing some of my money to the yen. My other plan is to buy hunting land as a investment.

Like anything else, this depends on level...for example, if you have a well rounded investment plan, you have some precious metal, if you have a solid preparedness plan, you have precious metals. If you're scraping by in either area, you probably shouldn't and don't.

Buying food in america, using silver or gold. Here is an example in california in an asian run store. It's coming soon soon to a town near you? Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJoJxMXuU8

If I had a store, I would be accepting silver!

I was offered silver for one of my firearms today.

Yes, there is an economy with PM's.

Hello all, Ron OL here - SERE SURPLUS

I have and in the Past have traded with Gold and Silver! In a Total meltdown, they have Limited worth, but as in so many barters, thats all a matter of the Situation!

I knew a Iranian Fellow that worked for the brits and the Americans during the time that the Shaw was in power! He Fell on hard time after the Komini regeme took, powert, he was on a banned List for Air travel and he had his passport Revoked, he was on a list to be 'Re-Educated" or killed, after getting his Family to The UK, he Bought a Cheap 1 way Ticket at the Airport in teran from an Older woman heading to England for work as a domestic, how did he pay? He had a Brievbecase with all he owned, a Rolex watch, a few Gold Kugerands and a Few Gold Panda's, The ticket had a worth of $150.00 ort so, he traded 3K in Gold Coins and his Rolex, I met him at the Airport, He Comments BEST TRADE I EVER DID? It all depends on the Sitiuation? Papper Currency became worthless over night, what was his life worth, a Lot more than a handfull of Gold Coins and an Over Priced watch? Your Milage may varry, i know hat I have seen and seen done, you pick your own path, I have mine?

RON

I'll take tobacco , any kind, any form. Alcohol also, any brand as long as its sealed or unopened. Those will make me happy and will get me most anything I will be interested in at the time. Go to a war torn or third world country and see what they'll give you for those 2 items, their wives , daughters, pigs, vehicles. They'll kill even family members to lay hands on it. Thats my choice !!

The anti-PM crowd usually makes the mistake that TSHTF leads to a permanent dark ages and they believe only water, food and ammo matters. That is VERY unlikely - the dust will settle as it always has and people will start trading for their mutual betterment. When trading it's money that what you want (not two chickens for a fencepost for a pack of smokes, etc.). Gold and silver have been and will always be money - get some or you won't be fully prepared.

There's thousands of years of history regarding precious metals.

Those folks who say that precious metals will be useless beyond an immediate circumstance are as foolish as those who say the sword is better than a gun because a gun might jam!

There are serious folks in survivalism and those who really haven't thought it through.