Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Last resort, bug out cabin in the works (PICS!)

The place definitely looks fantastic, big kudos! Sorry for the OPSEC problems with the family, though. After all that hard work, that sucks.

If anyone out there is looking for land, I'm a Realtor in Upstate NY and can help as I love land! One piece of advice for those looking for land, I do recommend using a Realtor who is experienced in land sales as there are a lot of ins and outs that many Realtors are ignorant of...septic and well tests, etc. I've all too often seen people use their best friend's Mom who works part-time as a Realtor and she was useless to them...but a good Realtor will set up MLS searches for you based on your parameters and will know what to look for in terms of easements, if the land is wet, restrictions, ROWs, etc.

Most people who sell land list with a realtor and do NOT put a for sale sign on the land as either they don't want to upset their neighbors or the Realtor, esp. the Moms working part-time, will only put a sign up for a house listing...so you might try to find land to buy on your own and thus, might not be fully aware of what's even on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    I wipe my butt with spotted owls.
    Oh my! I am laughing so hard now that I almost spit out my hot tea here.

Good one!

Catherine
    Adieu.

Great thread!

I enjoyed seeing all of the pictures and reading about your progress in building your cabins. This goes to both of the guys here. I enjoyed reading the tips from the other posters too.

I would not leave firearms there in any 'bunker' no matter how carefully you try to hide or cover it up. If you lived there 24/7 or every 2 days and could keep an eye on it - that would be one thing but the way some people do NOT honor private property rights - they might try to dig up and/or destroy what you built especially when it comes to GUNS.

Thanks for sharing.

Catherine
    Adieu.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhorse26 View Post
    Look great

I would suggest that you pour a concrete walk / culvert on the high side of the cabin to a re-direct run off prevent washout of your columns.
    I agree with this comment.

Catherine
    Adieu.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Actually I think I'd fit an untooled door (no lockset or hinge notches) over the door and the same with the windows,,, the windows could be done as shutters and locked fron the inside with padlocks, but the door could be done with four high security hasps and then locked with high high end padlocks, so the entire door could be removed, even with a steel core door on. Just another layer of security for when it's not in use and no one is around. I'd also add windows so there are windows on all sides.
    I would do this too.

Catherine
    Adieu.

Quote Originally Posted by UpstateNY View Post
    Kudos! Must've been fun hauling all that concrete up there!

I've got over 22 acres of woods and plan on putting a log cabin up similar to these plans...kind of a post-hunting hangout/fall back spot.

http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/logcabin.htm

Can't wait to get home and get started...
    This is a nice looking log home too.

Catherine
    Adieu.

Great job I think me and my brother are going to have to build a project like this.

Talking Very nice

I just talked the wife into 30 acres. Kubotas paid off and I'm home for a year on short term disability.You gave me some good ideas. Maybe now my money tree will start producing so I can get done

in BFE (meaning out in the middle of nowhere)

I am impressed with all the hard work that has been done on the cabin. I seriously recommend that you now use this cabin as a place to say during the weekends while you build an underground cement bunker, shelter and additional solid bug out location very close to the cabin.

When SHTF and you turn some people away or any neighbor or stranger is turned away they might have the attitude that if they can’t be included or part of it then you can’t either and might set the place or the woods around it on fire out of spite. I have seen this many times.

I am not trying to be pessimistic here but rather honestly helpful. If the SHTF then you are totally prepared and if it doesn’t, then you always have a have a nice cabin in the woods to send time with your wife and new son.

i have to get some land

Thinikng along the IL border

Slightly warmer more farmland.