Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics)

I also agree with some of the others T-DAN about a firearm...even if its a 'light 32' to +P 38...something to help if the real SHTF.Thesmaller guns,easily hidden and a CCW would be a major help 'in an event' of possibilities!

Your a smart young man...capable obviously...give it some thought.

Talking

Thanks again all!

I totally agree with you about the guns... Although if I get searched for ANY reason, how will I explain my tactical sks with 500 rounds, a highpoint 9mm with 300 rounds and a ar7 with 2500 rounds... I would be soo stumped if they asked me, They would probably lock me up for being a "TERRORIST" I know it sounds crazy and I agree, but I dont need any un-necessary police encounters. I do have a respectable aresenal at home, but for legal reasons I do not have any with me.

I do however have a compound bow, and I could take out a few people at 15-20 yards silently. I have considered carrying but it is very risky. Next thing I know I'll be on the media for "ties" to al qaeda involved in some kind of "terrorist group" to then make excuses about how we need to put tighter laws on guns and ammo restrictions. I am sure we are all on some kind of "terrorist watch lists" anyways just for posting on sites like these. You guys know the story...

I do feel better about having one at a permanent residence like this, than when "mobile homeless" and on the street.
    But I would consider buying a .22 handgun maybe a mkII, or a walther, in the South Fl. region... hint.. hint.. And For the record I am one of the guys that thinks that a .22 is a defensive caliber.

Again that is why my destination was here, because it is safe and bugging out to an uninhabited isle is easy. I love it so far. My first day at work was today and it went well. They have been training me on the campground computer software, and it is all hard to digest all of this information in one day. Thanks for all the support!
    Last edited by trooper dan; 01-30-2009 at 04:59 PM.

I see your point there T-DAN...hey you might even be accused of the masked man that used an AKM (supposedly) in Liberty City...and again its your choice as how you see fit to defend yourself.On the other hand,if the wife and I,together or separately had to go forth and do what you are doing now,I would have a few firearms close by just in case.If a LEO asked if I was armed I would say yes and its registered in my name...if this is any problem,I know a few lawyers AND a few local judges that are NRA,GOA and I shoot with from time to time.A small Bersa,Inox,even a SP101...all good in case of need.Our CCW's DO apply to Florida BTW...going to get a Utah one that covers 31 states I believe.

You did make a good point,however that the wife and I looked at a campershell a few days ago for my Dodge 4x4 Quad Dakota (one of my BOV's)...small,little room to speak of...hiding a firearm amongst necessities would be a challenge but possible,but the supplies would take precident.This thread has given me a lot of good insights and encouragement...as well as knowing each situation is different,so all wouldnt apply,or some do in parts.

Heading to N.Nevada supplies and means would be different per the time of year...or the same to Idaho or Montana as if I went South into the desert...I am separating different stockpiles for different environments...some supplies are 'universal'.

Again this is a great thread...thanks!

I have figured out that these $5 adjustable cup holders are a safe way to hold candles. I actually picked up a few of these at a marine flea market and bought 2 for 4 dollars.. This candle, is a sterno 60 hour emergency candle.

Your candle cup holder is a great idea!

Hi all.
    I just joined up because I came across this thread through a deleted link on the Wikihow web page about living in your car. I live in a car on occasions, but mostly live in a very small unit.
    I love this thread. So much useful information for a car dweller. I learned most of my skills pretty fast by having to just live in a car. But I honed up on skills and knowledge at http://vandwellers.org, particuarly the http://www.carliving.info/101.htm page which I found on the wikihow page. I think it sucks that they have deleted the link to this thread.

Hey, Trooper Dan you are indeed doing it, living in a car and doing it very well. It looks like you have a nice set up, a comfy matresss to live on, cooking facillities, water tanks. How do you go to the dunny though? Pee out a window? Or (as I have used) a pee bottle?

It sounds like life is on the up and up for you. Living it real, having only what you need so you can keep control of your posessions rather than them controlling you. No bills other than petrol and mobile phone. Plus a job that gives you an income that allows you to buy what you need to live.

Hey, now that you do have a home base to work from, perhaps you should consider buying a small in car cooler? I have one. It keeps food and drinks cool for a while. It is very handy to have. Especially for keeping fruit and veg cool after I've cut them up. Plus having a cold drink on a hot day makes life a little easier.

At any rate I love how you have shared your knowledge, skills and experiences with people, and so freely too. Thanks for that.

Being from down under in the land of Oz we don't have guns. Gun ownership is pretty much illegal here. With a crime rate much lower than the US, and a more open mind to living in your car, I rarely have had hassles. I've never been in a situation where I've ever needed a gun. I honestly could not imagine why you would need 2500 bullets in your car. They would weigh some bit and if the cops ever do find them, you're bound to be labbled a "crazy homeless guy with 3000 rounds of ammunition in his car."

Perhaps it would be better to place most of them in a waterproof container and bury it some place safe? I'm thinking that in the unlikly event that the **** does hit the fan, that they will be safe where you can retrive them then. Until that time they will not be taking up space or weighing you down.

Thanks for joining us!

My story is actually going to be featured on cheaprvliving.com, other people have similar stories that they have shared with the world. For those purposes, I use a one gallon "apple juice" container because it looks like "apple juice", every now and then I rinse it out with bleach because I am a fanatic of being clean, I really didn't want to share that unless someone specifically asked, but I thought it was a good idea" hidden in plain sight" LOL!

As for the vagabond life, I have been looking at high quality canvas tents that will last a long while, if anyone has any reccomendations of brands/prices let me know, I would like to stick with an OD green or sand colour. I have looked for a while and I dont really want to spend over a $1000+shipping on a tent, the max I would spend is $800. I really really like those portable yurts but they run $3000+!

I would still and always enjoy living on the streets in my truck, but in a work camping situalion it would be nice to have a good quality tent to get comfortable in, then in time I can pack it in my truck and be a vagabond again.
    As for the weapons burial, I am hardly in the same place twice so burial would be troublesome and not readily available. This island I live on is in many ways a self sufficient community , IMHO this is the best place to be if SHTF.

For the first time in my life I have been running around in circles on the internet looking for something to buy, and I even have over $800 in the bank and a paychecks coming and you know what? I realized that I DONT NEED ANYTHING! It is such a fantastic feeling. I'm not even spending any money on gas, and I have not even moved my truck since I've been here.

On a side note... Today some rich moron jacknifed his 300,000 dollar motorhome into his new truck that he was towing while turning around! I had a good chuckle, and I should have took pictures. You wouldnt believe some of the "crap" people have that they think they need.

Link to the site... http://cheaprvliving.com/
    Last edited by trooper dan; 02-13-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

Ok-Please! First, we all want homes, but we don't want bills. Second, being "homeless" in a rich society, especially since the great depression is not hard!

I was homeless with 2 children at one time. If you like to camp you will do great with all the charity and government handouts!

Catholic Social Services gives away money
    Food Stamps
    welfare checks

Heck, years ago I new this family that would take their vacations by hitting up Baptist Churches accross the states for donations!

We have it all today! I never was able to qualify for food stamps, or welfare, but once Catholic Social Services paid my electic bill and once Broward County Services bought me a 10 speed to get to work with. I paid them back for the bike a month later.

I want to know what work you are out of and if you plan on going back to Ohio in summer?

I'm from Michigan and let me tell you, it is so easy being poor in Florida! Poor and warm!

Frankly, I would be impressed with homeless skills in a real depression with no government handouts.

Thumbs down

First of all, I dont take a handout from ANYONE, especially the government. People that are freeloaders are scum and the rest of us hard working americans have to carry their asses (because we work and pay taxes).

I do not know what you are implying, But I wrote and contributed to this topic to indorse self-sufficency. not "check this out guys! I'm getting a free ride on welfare and free food that your tax dollars pay for! And you can do it too!"

Well when the economy collapses and martial law is enacted the people getting a free ride from the government are going to have a hellish wake up call.

Infact I still live in my truck at a tent site, the only difference is that I have a hot shower and a little bit of privacy. I AM STILL LIVING IN MY TRUCK!
    Last edited by trooper dan; 02-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.

That-a-boy!!! You're doin' it to it!
    Last edited by Salmon304; 02-02-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: wanted to add one more thing