Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dentures.

Default Dentures.

First off let me whine a minute. Last week I had an incident and hurt my self. Herniated a disc in my back.
    This is the third time, the first two resulting in surgery. So that's big fun and then I had two teeth go south on me. Top front teeth. I've always had bad teeth since the day I was born. So I decided F it I'm going for dentures. Tired of pain.

So to my point of all this.
    Who all here have dentures?
    Are you happy you have them or regret?
    Are there any questions I should be asking the doc?

Thanks
    C
    P
    H
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

I remember Cammie saying she replaced all her teeth with implants I believe. I too have issues with my teeth. Have a bridge for my front teeth. Big mistake. It has broken twice already. Saving up for implants ow.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Yep, I wear full upper and lower dentures. There are pro's and cons. Me personally, I like having them. I had serious problems with my teeth after I had my first child. He zapped me good. It literally destroyed the enamel in my teeth and they started chipping, splitting and breaking but I never had a cavity. They just turned to dense chalk. Finally, I got fed up with spending so much money on fillers and caps so I talked extensively with my dentist. We both agreed dentures would be best for me, and later, implants. I have yet to get implants. I have and issue with drilling into my bone to implant. So, I stuck with the dentures.

The pro's definately outweigh the cons in my opinion.
    You never have to worry about infection which can poison your blood and cause serious damage and even deteriorate the bone.
    No more decay or toothaches.
    Bad breath or gingivitis will no longer exist.
    The only visits to the dentist is to have your dentures adjusted, especially if you go long periods without wearing them.

Cons,
    Your jaw will recede if you do not wear them but, you can get the dentures adjusted.
    If you go long periods without wearing them, your dentures will need to be realigned. Usually you can have that done during your visit to the dentist.

Dentures aren't cheap but in the long run, it's cheaper than dental work and without the pain and illness.

I've been wearing dentures about 10 years and I have never regretted it.

Main thing to get your dentist to understand is that you want a thin as he can get, palate and to not build your denture teeth bigger than your originals.
    I see people with dentures who look awful because their dentures are way too big for their face. You will have to go back a few times after the initial fit to have the adjusted the way you want them plus, as your gums heal, the swelling will go down so your denture lining will need to be adjusted accordingly. That is included in the price as a mandatory follow-up.

I had all my teeth pulled in one sitting because I didn't want to go through it multi times. Once was plenty for me. The rest was just healing and adjusting. My gums were healed within a couple weeks and I had very little discomfort throughout the whole process.

Last but not least, if you're going to get them, WEAR THEM!
    I don't regret it at all!
    Making good people helpless, doesn't make bad people harmless!

Awesome
    Thank you very much.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
    Once during a hunting trip in Remote Alaska I ran out of Twinkie’s and was compelled to live off of of fish and moose meat

One other thing I forgot to add.
    It's a con and very important.
    If you start not wearing your dentures and just go alnaturale, make sure you chew your food. Be very conscious of that because not chewing your food up well, can eventually lead to diverticulosis. You should wear your dentures all day, every day. Only take them out at night to clean and soak in a denture cleaner. First thing when you get up in the morning, brush your gums gently, rinse your dentures off from the denture cleaner and put them in.
    If your dentures fit properly, you won't need adhesives.

Alaska, my biggest complaint is with my bottom teeth. If your uppers don't match perfectly and you bite down, it will shift your bottom teeth. Find a really good dentist. BE PICKY and enforce your needs. Tell him everything you need. He won't know unless you give him details. No matter all the technologies, you are the only one who can give him precise accuracy on the fit.

Totally
    It will be very important because I have a huge over bite. So much so he said there was no way I could do a partial for the 4 front teeth.

Kinda makes me laugh because when I was 5 years old they put me under and removed my 4 front teeth. Apparently I have come full circle

Maybe you could have some reconstructive surgery to correct that. I had to have that done myself because the bone under my eye teeth at the upper gum had bone spurs. He removed them both and reshape do the bone.

I have been blessed with excellent teeth, I can't even remember the last time I went to the dentist, over twenty years I believe. I have all of my teeth, my wisdom teeth never gave me a bit of discomfort, they have however caused my lower front teeth to crowd a bit.
    Don't bring skittles to a gun fight.

I wish i could get dentures. Like many others here my teeth have been bad since i was a child (maybe even before ?)

It is going to cost me over $7k to get them, 3k if i did not have any teeth left to pull. $175 each to pull existing.

those screw in type, i an't too sure about. To me they could get partickels between the denture and the gum, then what?

Maybe this Nov, been saying that for years now though.

Teeth hurt all the time.