Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Who has a non prepping related hobby?

KC, Misery-- It's Missouri- you have to 'Show Me'...

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    You know X-cop...I probably should not be but I am indeed constantly surprised at how may grown men have very large comic book collections.

Apparently with portable computers/phones....the youngsters today do not read comic books much anymore.

I was made aware of this about comic books by a fellow in my crew at work. While I read a lot of comic books and traded with my friends as a youngster..I never got into collecting.
    While I have not read a comic book in years and years, I too would be pissed off at the shift to PC. I am not into video games.
    Also a lot of todays writing is become bad writing ..at a newspaper level or lower. And I am talking about college grads here.

You know ...X-cop..now that I think about it in light of grown collectors...
    Many years ago ..in Roanoke, Virginia...at a large well known flea market in the indoor section ..this flea market is called Happy's ...in there was a shop which sold and traded model cars and slot car sets. As I sat out in the lobby area snacking on some popcorn...I observed that it was mostly grown men going into that establishment...removing and carrying in their slot car sets. As I recall..the store did not encourage children to come in and play with the model cars and slot car sets. The store was geared to grown men and serious collectors.
    I too played with slot cars growing up but never thought it would be a collectors item and that it would be dominated by grown men.

How strangely life works out and at times ironic.

Thanks for your post,
    Orangetom
    You should check out the model train crowd...
    leave the gun... take the cannoli...

In times of strength prepare for times of weakness...

LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

Goodness me..You know I never think about that kind of thing...nor slot cars until I saw that Store in Happy's up in Roanoke, Virginia and all the grown men reliving the days of their youth and passions....but your point is noted.
    I played with trains as a youngster..but never considered collecting them.

Thanks for informing me.

Orangetom

Suppliment to this post.

As X-cop previously posted..most hobbies are prepper related.

I just replaced my telescoping antenna mast and as a result put my feed point on my wire loop antenna for my ham radio up some 20 to 25 feet higher. Checked it out by making a barefoot contact to Ontario, Canada to a special event station involving the Canadian military forces. This is the first time in about three years that I have used this HF rig to make a microphone contact. Most of my contacts are on Morse Code or on the short range local bands on my Beofeng radios.

My friend across the river is moving to Tennessee and we are planning to establish a HF band contact system in the Extra class portion of the band on 75, 60 or 40 meters. We will be working out this contact system now that this antenna is working again.

This is one of my hobbies which also has prepping applications in mind.
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 09-10-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Orange tom i started getting them when i was about 5, i got comics all the time as a kid and when i could buy my own i bought more. Didio at DC has pushed them more in to a angsty progressive super liberal slant on everything and Avid at Marvel and writers like Bendis have been pushing their own SJW crap in the writing, Capt America is currently unreadable. It's like an anti trump add and a blm rant the whole issue

I enjoy woodworking. I have built many things and love the look of wood grain after its stained. I have built my own bar, small coffee table, plant stand, napkin holder (went old school and learned how to utilize dovetails), counter top and shelving. I will add some pics shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ready 4 reset; 09-13-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    "Improvise, adapt & overcome"
    Clint Eastwood - Heartbreak Ridge

Wow!!! Very very nice Ready 4 reset..very nice and thanks for the pictures.

I love a very nice piece of wood...

I like wood in a rifle stock..but for rough field uses I think a lot of these artificial materials are better than damaging a nice piece of wood.

But for furniture and such ...painted or stained..wood is lovely.

I like the look of wood on a sailboat..but it seems it would be high maintenance compared to more modern materials.

Nice Bar and shelves...railing.

Thanks for the photos,

X-cop,

Agree....I too would not like them/comic books today if they have gone that route. As I was saying in another thread...people like certain things to get away/relax...sort of their safe space..they do not want to see it polluted with PC. This in reference to that business currently going on with the NFL players.

Orangetom

There is the politics and on top of that they are just bad stories now. They keep rehasing old plots and doing them poorly. I talked to a well known artist and writer at a con who used to work at marvel, he's just disgusted with the management from what he said. He won't go back ever, they have allegedly asked him back several times along with others. But they won't work for Avid, so we get whiny hipsters like Bendis ruining x-men with retcon after retcon and killing off characters who are "too toxicly masculine" and such crap

Quote Originally Posted by HatetosayItoldyouso... View Post
    No kidding. One of my old customers has a 40x60 room with a 400k train set it took him and 2 full time model builders 2 years to assemble. We're talking flowing water in streams and waterfalls, LED sunlight that moves, airbrushed clouds, fiber optic stars that twinkle, canyons, mountains, desert, switch yards, factories, tunnels, towns, etc. He based it on things he saw out the window of trains as a kid in the western US. When you have a replica yard control tower to run your trains from, you're obsessed. I met him when I sold Christmas light installs one year, he wasn't allowed to do his own lights because the board of directors of his company told him he can't climb on his roof anymore because it would cost too much if he got hurt. Yeah, he was stickin' rich.
    Common sense is so uncommon nowadays it ought to be reclassified as a super power

Not sure if it's a hobby anymore, but I've always enjoyed fixing electronics. I took apart and rewired a neighbors lamp wen I was 7, and kind of been in it ever since. I say its not much of a hobby, mostly because it's became a side business now, and growing into a real one. I've slowly progressed to cell repair, where it is a 4billion dollar a year and growing industry in the US. I can be in and out of an iPhone 5, 6 series in 12 minutes flat at this point. It's exciting still being inside the latest tech, and it's rewarding fixing something broken, it nurtures my soul because I help people by saving them a ton of money replacing high dollar stuff, and well it's nice making 45$ on a cell phone repair!

Aside from that though, my time is a premium being a single full time father of two little girls, maintaining a full time high energy sales job as well.

johnEprophet

Well said John...well said ...and an excellent skill to have.

Can you wire up 220 and 440 volt power connections..how about three phase??? A, B, and C phase??

How about portable generators on the electronic/electronic side?? Curious about this. Even inverters etc etc.

Electronics/electrical is a good skill to have and to many people is sort of a magic skill. They only push the buttons but have no idea what happens in side the gear.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

My particular skill set is much lower than that kind of electrical work. A previous employer sent me to classes to be electrical cert. On 480v and terrorist safety video on that kind of voltage scared me off. I tend to stay on circuit boards, and yes I can do some SMD work as well. It has largely grown off of curiosity, and personal need.

For example my ps4, got knocked around with an HDMI cable in ended up tearing the HDMI half off the board. I had a few options, send it off and pay $200 to have it fixed, scrap it and buy a new one, or start watching videos and get my hands dirty. I get $90 now from the locals for doing ps4 HDMI ports, remove what's there, clean up the spots, hot air on a new one. I go further and epoxythe new HDMI port on the board for some extra strength.

I can do basic stuff with electricity it's self.